Intermediate Bond Fund Allocation

LOL! said:
I think if you extend that logic to absurdity then every investment we make is a loser because there was always something out there that we could have invested in and made more money.

Yeah. I'm running up agaisnt the limits of explaining reality to people who don't think they live in a mark-to-market world (when they actually do).

brewer12345 said:
Pay attention: I didn't say bonds had "low" correlation with equities. I said they were not highly correlated with equities. Big difference.

Just semantics. :LOL:

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Just semantics. :LOL:

Did your momma slap you too much when you were a kid, or something? What gives?

Eh, I just figured I'd skip straight past the two pages of irrelevant dialog based on misreading your post or inserting words you never said, and just jump to the part where I say either "oops, my bad" or "thats just semantics".

However, in a surprising turn of events, the comment does actually make sense in context.

:LOL:

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Eh, I just figured I'd skip straight past the two pages of irrelevant dialog based on misreading your post or inserting words you never said, and just jump to the part where I say either "oops, my bad" or "thats just semantics".

OK, but I think I liked it better when pics of animals with things on their heads were used instead. I imagine that a pic of Helicopter Ben would suffice on the thread about the USD.

LOL! said:
I think if you extend that logic to absurdity then every investment we make is a loser because there was always something out there that we could have invested in and made more money.

I think you are missing the point.

Every bond has a value which can be calculated (called discounting the bond) in which the coupon value plus the value of the income stream is calculated. This value is highly dependent upon the discount factor used for the calculation. The discount factor moves with inflation.

It is this discounting process that is basically going on by knowledgeble buyers and sellers when bonds are valued and bought or sold in the market place.

If you put $1,000 under your mattress and pull it out in 10 years, did you lose money? I guess not by your way of viewing things, but inflation marched on and you could have put it in the money market and had a lot more. That "lot more" might even buy you the same goods and services in 10 years, but the $1,000 won't. By stashing the money, you effectively "bought" a zero yield bond and held it to maturity. If interest rates rise, your 4% bond becomes like that money under your mattress in comparison more recent issues. The $1,000 you got back is ok, but it's not the same as the $1,000 you put in.

hope this helps explain it a bit.

the financial markets are based on the premise "if your not making the money,your loosing the money"thats not to say if we didnt invest in google and didnt rake in those gains we lost but none the less the markets have certain benchmarks...my own benchmark is how i out performed a cd or money market that year..anything i did that beat it i consider myself successful...next stop are the market averages...if i beat them im a genius ,if i didnt i still made some money but om noooo genius......got the point?

Just fyi, I decided to replace High Yield Corp with Vanguard Wellesley Income.  Figured if I wanted to take a little more risk with this part of allocation I would rather have a little bit more equity risk than "junk".  I also use Vanguard's Asset Allocation fund as a proxy for S&P 500 so I guess that kinda balances it out.  Any comments on our overall retirement allocation welcomed (all funds are Vanguard):
  4% Emerging Mkts Index
  4% Pacific Index
  4% European Index
  9% Small Cap Index
  9% REIT Index
10% Value Index
10% Asset Allocation fund
10% Wellesley Income
10% TIPS fund
10% GNMA
20% CDs, IBonds and Treasuries   

Back