Inventorying "stuff"

I went to replacements, they offered 450 for a full stirling flatware set. They sell the same set for 4500. Melt value was about 650. So for that money i will use it.

I looked up my Waterford crystal. They offered $5 per stem and sell them for $80. It would cost more than $5 to ship them:(

Just bought a large waterford vase in the box at goodwill, 7$. I thought that was a steel. Enjoy the stuff, use it. Thats what I am doing. For the holidays, I host now and we eat off all the china, silver and drink out of the waterford. Lol. All stuff no one wanted or was inheritance. At least people can enjoy it, or not. It is a pita to clean afterwards. The only other thong I dont do that my mom did, is the old careful with that, its expensive. If it beaks, so be it. No big loss.

We were pleased with what we got $ for our china and some (Swarovski) collectibles from https://www.replacements.com/. Selling china, crystal, flatware, collectibles, and (some) jewelry yourself is a PITA, and you get less IME. We sold all of DWs Longaberger baskets on eBay, made squat, wish we’d known about replacements.com instead…
The longaberger baskets thing reminds me of an interaction I had with a coworker maybe 25 years ago... She was trying to tell me they were investments. I was trying to tell her I didn't need more "stuff"... Especially expensive stuff.

My brother was also convinced that beanie babies were investments. When he passed away we found many bins with new, with tags, beanie babies. Most of his stuff was willed to his church. The pastor sent the beanies to an orphanage they had ties to... For the kids to play with. My brother would have been horrified. My sister and I loved it.

Stuff changes value with the times. Silver, crystal, and China are examples of this.

I went through my (maternal) aunt’s things when she passed, then helped my my mum go through my father’s stuff when he passed, and then went through my mum’s stuff when she moved to an assisted living. In all cases I had to set aside the things with some financial or sentimental value and dispose of the rest, then deal with the beneficiaries,

I found it emotionally tough, and also very challenging to deal with the family members. I don’t want my children to have the same issue with my stuff so I’ve identified and written down what has financial value and who should get what. I’ve also identified what has sentimental value for me, just a few things passed down over multiple generations, made a list, went over it with the kids, assigned who gets what. Everything else gets tossed, no decisions have to be made.

Aside from family relics, which have no real value, I think it best to sell as much as possible and leave the money to the kids.

Regarding crystal, lead crystal glassware may become obsolete for alcoholic beverages as there's some concern about lead leaching into the alcohol. This seems to be more of an issue with decanters where the alcohol sits for a long time. Currently, some sources say it's fine to drink alcohol from lead crystal glassware, while others say it's not safe. Regardless, many manufacturers no longer use lead in their glassware.

We are in our mid-70's and trying to downsize. My DW has 'collections' that none of the 3 kids have ANY interest in. So they stay in place and DW cannot answer how long they stay or where they will "live" next. so downsizing ain't making so much progress. I think many of us want to believe that our 'stuff' has value, when in fact, it does not.

Dad gave us a bunch of fancy Mikasa dishes with gold trim.
We said we'll save them for special occasions. He said just use them every day.
I guess he figured out they are not worth money.
So we use them, but they cannot go in the microwave.

My mom would probably strangle me if she knew I practically gave away 225 of her souvenir collector spoons for $40 on craigslist. The guy who bought them said he makes rings from the handles. I did keep a handful that are sterling silver, but am not sure what I'll do with them. The custom-made display cases for the spoons also went to the thrift store.

I tried to sell the crystal glassware, but got no interest, so it went to the thrift store as well.

What I felt the worst about getting rid of were the old photos. Neither I nor anyone in my family knew who those people were, so there was no sense in keeping them. I kept the shots related to their business though, as it's still going strong, and sent scans to the local historical society.

What I felt the worst about getting rid of were the old photos. Neither I nor anyone in my family knew who those people were, so there was no sense in keeping them. I kept the shots related to their business though, as it's still going strong, and sent scans to the local historical society.

Saw the same potential problem-
Told my surviving parent several years ago that their many boxes of old photos that had no notes identifying the subjects would be worthless to us and therefore tossed after they are gone.

They got busy on that project pretty fast.

I went looking for the silverware- haven’t found it yet!
But I did come across an old wooden train set that I think was my older brother’s.
It reminded me about the warning of not using old items- dishes, glasses, toys, etc if they are red. Those likely have lead in the red paint which can have serious health impacts on children.
They should be disposed of.
So, out goes the train set.
While it almost has lead-based paint (with lots of other heavy metals), this sounds like a collectible antique that might be worth some $?

Dad gave us a bunch of fancy Mikasa dishes with gold trim.
We said we'll save them for special occasions. He said just use them every day.
I guess he figured out they are not worth money.
So we use them, but they cannot go in the microwave.

Also should be hand washed, as the dishwasher could strip off the gold trim.

Now I don't feel so bad about never getting any fancy wedding gifts.

I happen to love beautiful china and glassware for their own sakes. Still, the care they require reminds me of 1930's movies, where even average families always seem to have a servant in the kitchen.

Now I don't feel so bad about never getting any fancy wedding gifts.

I happen to love beautiful china and glassware for their own sakes. Still, the care they require reminds me of 1930's movies, where even average families always seem to have a servant in the kitchen.

I remember that on TV, milk was served in a pitcher and poured into nice "glass" glasses. We always used the half-gallon wax-coated milk cartons that were delivered to the door - and we had a whole set of "glasses" that were originally jelly jars. They mostly looked alike, but occasionally one was a little different.:)

PLEASE avoid dumpsters

I figure when we pass on, our kids will bring in a dumpster and fill it up. We've got pictures dating back to the late 1800's of family, etc. The kids have shown no interest up to now, so - dumpster. Books, outdated furniture, lamps, keep-sakes, etc. Dumpster!

We have nothing of "value" (like sterling silver ware, etc.) so - out it all goes. I have no problem with that, but I just love the way we have both of our abodes set up. In the old homestead, there are items I used as a kid. Memories flood back often as I realize my parents used these items as well. But our kids won't think of such things when the time comes to shovel out our old stuff. Sad? Not really. Maybe just a little bit disappointing. YMMV

Furniture, lamps, knick knacks, books (if in decent shape)--donate to Goodwill or Salvation Army!
They will PICK UP--they took a TRUCKLOAD last year when DM passed.

Or contact your local mission.
A friend took ALL the kitchen & bedding/towels that we didn't want. She creates "apartment packages" for those moving into housing from the mission. She said even things like Xmas cookie cutters are beloved as those are things considered "extra" & they don't usually get them in the move.

It is better for our world & the people in it if we donate as much as possible.

Sold solid silver jewelry to a local jeweler--the price you get is really sad.
Perhaps solid silver tableware will garner a bit more.

Husband (85) and I (82) have been taking an inventory of things we have accumulated over the years. Some would have no value to our children but might have market value. For example there are 4 silver spoons that match nothing but look to be solid silver. I would like to explore selling them to a dealer. Has anyone done that?
Easy to do--but first weight the by gram (your kitchen scale will do) and look at the current per gram price online. Then when you get an offer, if it is less than 80% tell them to take a hike. 80% is fine--they have to make money too. There are reputable (sort of) companies online that will gi9ve you a bid. When it sucks and you say no, then they will call you and give you the right price once they know you have done your research. Just dumped 3K worth of sterling silverware from my grandmother when I realized my kids had zero interest in inheriting them Sad but a fact.

A neighbor runs a non-for-profit re-sale store (benefits a Christian school) and he tells us about all the 'donations' that go straight to the dumpster. Why? Because nobody wants them at any price. One case - some figurines called "Precious Moments". Apparently very popular at one time (a sister-in-law has a case full of them). Now, worth nothing. When donated - straight to the dumpster. Yet the women who "collected" them thought that "some day" they would be 'valuable' (??) That day ain't coming.

I got rid of nearly everything when I moved to Thailand. Among the possessions were some silver dollars from the 1880’s and 1920’s that I have had since I was a child. I went to a coin dealer and got several hundred dollars for them. It was a bit of a surprise to me.

A neighbor runs a non-for-profit re-sale store (benefits a Christian school) and he tells us about all the 'donations' that go straight to the dumpster. Why? Because nobody wants them at any price. One case - some figurines called "Precious Moments". Apparently very popular at one time (a sister-in-law has a case full of them). Now, worth nothing. When donated - straight to the dumpster. Yet the women who "collected" them thought that "some day" they would be 'valuable' (??) That day ain't coming.

Years ago a lady down the street was into Beenie Babies (sp?). She was certain her collection of these rare and eagerly sought after little dolls would pay for her daughter's college education.

Another friend had a family Bible that was over 100 years old. He though it should be worth thousands, maybe tens of thousands. I think he got $25 for it. It seems that people don't toss old family Bibles with the names of various ancestors in them. Thus, there are a ton of these things in circulation.

I have emptied 7 houses and use a combination of garage sales, selling online, giving away items either online or with free signs in front of the house. Donations to thrift stores is last. Yes junk goes to the dump but it’s really sad that people mindlessly fill up a dumpster with goods that others would enjoy and need. Even when time is limited with all the social media sites it’s easy to give stuff away.

The easiest way if you live on a fairly busy street is to put it in the front yard with a free sign. People advertise on Nextdoor that they are starting over and need household items and some people take free items and resell it.

Sold solid silver jewelry to a local jeweler--the price you get is really sad.
Perhaps solid silver tableware will garner a bit more.

You gotta find the right dealer. There are a few square ones out there. Start by calculating the melt value and finding out someone who will give you close to that.

We have a collection of handmade etched glassware and no heirs. The majority of those items will eventually be donated to the collectors society for that type of glassware. They auction off glass to fund the museum they run. The rest of the odds and ends we have collected will be sold to replacements.com or donated to a local hospice thrift store. Wouldn't want to bother anyone with trying to sell items that are only of interest to a few thousand collectors. Actually hoping to get rid of some of it, the odds and ends collections, sooner than later.

I have emptied 7 houses and use a combination of garage sales, selling online, giving away items either online or with free signs in front of the house. Donations to thrift stores is last. Yes junk goes to the dump but it’s really sad that people mindlessly fill up a dumpster with goods that others would enjoy and need. Even when time is limited with all the social media sites it’s easy to give stuff away.

The easiest way if you live on a fairly busy street is to put it in the front yard with a free sign. People advertise on Nextdoor that they are starting over and need household items and some people take free items and resell it.

It all depends on where you are located. For me, it was a beach house in the dead of winter. Garage sale was dealers and no one else. For free stuff posted on line 0 people came because no one was in the area. Nearest place to donate 1 hour away because all the stores were closed for the winter. So easy for you isnt the same for me depending on your location and the timing. For me it was cheaper and easier to dump it. Sad, a waste, sure. But if it costs me a lot of time and money to give stuff away for free, its not worth it.

It all depends on where you are located. For me, it was a beach house in the dead of winter. Garage sale was dealers and no one else. For free stuff posted on line 0 people came because no one was in the area. Nearest place to donate 1 hour away because all the stores were closed for the winter. So easy for you isnt the same for me depending on your location and the timing. For me it was cheaper and easier to dump it. Sad, a waste, sure. But if it costs me a lot of time and money to give stuff away for free, its not worth it.

That was definitely a much harder way to get rid of stuff. I don’t mind spending my time getting rid of stuff because I really worry about the planet we are leaving to the next generation. We are running out of space for garbage.

I would have rented a uhaul and driven it to the nearest thrift store. It’s a moot point now but I hope others who need to clean out homes will do better than just taking decent items to the dump.

Back
Top Bottom