Investing in Value stocks

Brat

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I have cash to invest in IRAs and believe that the market will rotate to the value side. I looked at Vanguard's value ETF and found that Berkshire Hathaway is their largest holding. I have had that stock in the past but was uneasy because if either of their elderly managers passed away that investors would sell.

So... which would you choose, the ETF or BRKB?

Growth is value and value is growth.

Buy a large cap growth stock with an attractive valuation. There are many to choose from.

I'd invest in the ETF, as BRK is only 2.87% of the total holding of VTV. I'm also thinking of taking some of my money out of growth and moving over to value for 2022, as the days of cheap money to fuel growth is coming to an end thanks to inflation.

I have cash to invest in IRAs and believe that the market will rotate to the value side. I looked at Vanguard's value ETF and found that Berkshire Hathaway is their largest holding. I have had that stock in the past but was uneasy because if either of their elderly managers passed away that investors would sell.

So... which would you choose, the ETF or BRKB?

If you are just looking at those two and putting the money in a tax sheltered environment I would do the Value ETF.

I own a very small (nanoscopic) bit of BRKB and have no worries about succession with that company.

Oh, Ducks are on in 4 hours!

Last edited:
When value is doing well midcap value and small cap value do better usually then large cap value. So *if* I were to move to value I would do a 50/50 combo of midcap/small cap.

Another thought is to move in steps from large cap value -> large cap blend (sp500) -> mid/small value.

If you are just looking at those two and putting the money in a tax sheltered environment I would do the Value ETF.

I own a very small (nanoscopic) bit of BRKB and have no worries about succession with that company.

Oh, Ducks are on in 4 hours!

Now to hope that they can do a better job than they did the last two games.

GO DUCKS!

Small cap value, I fear, is too dependent on low-interest rates.. that is not to say that interest rates won't remain low from a historical pov.. it is the trend that can kill the group.

Last edited:
We have some BRK.B , probably one of our largest holdings.

I'm not worried about the succession, it's been talked about and planned for decades, so won't be a big surprise.

I like it in these times due to the large cash cushion, and how it doesn't pay a dividend, so no tax implications unless I want to sell.

I will admit the last 10 years has been disappointing compared to S&P , but that's the thing with diversifying , not every piece does great at the same time.

My preference would be in order: SCHD, BRKB, VTV.
They are all value plays and the above order reflects their performance.

Definitely going small value here with an increased allocation.

Always in the market for growth at a reasonable price (GARP) regardless of capitalization.

Not worried about BRK.b. Have owner it but do not own currently.

And those Ducks were not all they were quacked up to be...

;)

Last edited:
I have cash to invest in IRAs and believe that the market will rotate to the value side.
That already happened in 2021, but inflation could keep it going. Do you have any tech or high growth ETFs in your portfolio? If you buy both value and growth, they cancel out and give you a blend. You might sell those first.

Note that at Vanguard all ETFs cost $0/trade, so you can buy iShares or Schwab ETFs for the same price as Vanguard ETFs. You could also go for international value, like with EFV with deeper value characteristics than VTV.
https://etfdb.com/etf/EFV/#etf-ticker-profile
https://etfdb.com/etf/VTV/#etf-ticker-profile

I would, and have, chosen SCHD and VXF for rollover IRA.

Back
Top Bottom