Investment Advice for Mom

BooBoo

Recycles dryer sheets
My 98 year old Mom is has nearly 100K in cash that she does not need for living expenses.:dance: Just leave it in a money market ?

That’s what I would do. Maybe get spicy and put 1/2 in a 1 yr CD, preferably at a local bank/CU.

at 98, if the MM has a good rate, I would say yes.
Easier access in case of emergency need.

If the money market is paying over 5%, and many are like (mine is at 5.25%), then I would say yes. Or if she is unlikely to need quick access to the money you could put 1/2 of it in a 1-year CD and leave the rest in the money market fund.

My 98 year old Mom is has nearly 100K in cash that she does not need for living expenses.:dance: Just leave it in a money market ?

My 95 year old mom sold her house and moved in with us, has 200k she doesn't need, or at least not right away. She has it in a Money Market to keep it liquid, she added me to the account as an authorized user, I'm her POA and Healthcare Surrogate, that way I can spend it on her if she needs it. otherwise it sits there growing with the great interest rate we were able to get.

Discover Bank, or Marcus, and call it a day.

I helped my in-laws with that. She had over 200k in her BOA checking and savings. She couldn't believe when I told her she made $1,050 in interest last month.

Back
Top Bottom