Investment money increase / Haircuts

I've been cutting my own hair for 30+ years. It's wavy/curly, and I couldn't seem to find a stylist who could work with it to create a low-maintenance wash-and-dry style that I liked and could recreate easily at home. So I just part it down the back, bring the sides together under my chin, twist them together, trim straight across, then twist the other direction, and trim across again.

I've thought about looking for a stylist again—maybe there are more advanced cutting techniques that would work well for me. But after years of frugal fashion, I'm not sure I'd want to pay a more advanced price for a haircut!

I love it!!!
Let me see....my wife has been cutting my hair for about 16 years. I remember how scared she was the first time she did it!
She's great at cutting hair now, so my kids have never had a "paid for" haircut.

Based on my kids ages, I just calculated 492 haircuts saved.
Assuming an average of $16 per haircut over those years, that's about $8000 -- which of course would have grown with the market! So I bet my haircut fund would be $15k or more!

About 20 years ago we took the easy way out and bought a used FlowBee. We've gotten pretty good at it. I cut DWs hair and she cuts mine. About 30 minutes and we're looking good. Yes, had to buy another used FlowBee to get some missing extensions.

Once a month for 33 years, cutting my own hair. 3 young adult sons with one 26 and special needs still at home. Cut their hair every 4-6 weeks for combined 60 years. Combined, 1000 ish hair cuts. Probably 6th pair of clippers. Adds up.

This is an additional post (new investment idea) related to cutting my own hair and so can you!

Haircutting might be an art but the basics are not difficult. YouTube is your friend and lots of good info here at ER with links too.

As far as investing, thought about it, every time I cut my hair an equal amount of money, as the price of a professional haircut, is manually transferred from bank account to Roth IRA account. Due to this being my third self-haircut, $75 (3×$25) was put to Roth IRA account. The first 2 were paying back the Wahl Razor from Costco but had the money so transferred it.

Thank you IRS for adding $500 to our Roth IRA max for 2023 :)

This is NOT financial advice and I am NOT a financial advisor. Please make your own decisions.

Oh my god i so agree. I've been cutting my own hair for the past 20 years with the same trimmer set. I think it cost $25 in 2003 (estimating $3600 saved with 30/cut with tips x 6 times a year x 20 years). I haven't figured out how to do a good job cutting my kids hair, my wife absolutely will never let me near her hair.

Back
Top Bottom