investments for retiree

ER_Hopeful

Recycles dryer sheets
my mom retired last year and moved to TX (no income tax.) Her house there is paid for. She has minimal expenses and about $150k cash sitting in savings. She works an easy part time job to fill her day, in relative good health. She'll have some additional stash coming after selling her small retirement home in CA.

what would be some good MF/ETF for her to invest the savings? Goal is to maintain value while earning income. small up/down is ok. is VDIGX a good choice ?

Easy is put it all into a 60/40 fund like Vanguard Wellington, or Fidelity Puritan or Fidelity Balanced. Or for better diversity can go with the three fund portfolio of US Market, International Market, and Bond fund.

I'd go with Wellesley or Wellington depending on what she desires for an AA.

If she wants income from her investments for living expenses you can set up an automatic redemption of $x per month sent to her checking account.

OP - Does she have no 401K/IRA or Roth ?
Generally any investment should fit within a person's total investment picture.

I find VDIGX a poorly named fund: Vanguard Dividend Growth Fund.
It's yield is: 1.71% with Net Expense Ratio 0.22%

Where VTSAX Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund.
It's yield is: 1.77% with Net Expense Ratio 0.04%
With much lower turnover, so less Federal taxes.

My pick would be Vanguard LifeStrategy Conservative Growth Fund (VSCGX)
easy on the taxes also
Wellesley would be good to since no state tax

Last edited:
my mom retired last year and moved to TX (no income tax.) Her house there is paid for. She has minimal expenses and about $150k cash sitting in savings. She works an easy part time job to fill her day, in relative good health. She'll have some additional stash coming after selling her small retirement home in CA.

what would be some good MF/ETF for her to invest the savings? Goal is to maintain value while earning income. small up/down is ok. is VDIGX a good choice ?

You need to define "small up/down". Whatever that percentage is will determine an acceptable AA.

Back
Top Bottom