iOS 14

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
I was pleasantly surprised to find out that, with the new rollout of iOS 14, all of a sudden the LED indicator on my Samsung wireless charger used with an iPhone 8 seems to work properly. That is, it glows a blue color as always while charging but now changes to green when fully charged. They must have done something to make that happen.

They also fixed Home Sharing for Music. Under iOS 13, it was dying while loading the library that has a home on my iMac. Since I used that a lot, it’s nice to have it back again.

I like the picture-in-picture feature a lot. Works well with the new PBS live streaming video.

I'm waiting for iOS 14.0.1 or iOS 14.1 before being a guinea pig.

I'm also waiting to hear how iPadOS 14 works on an old iPad Air 2. I essentially bricked my older iPad when they claimed a new OS upgrade was compatible with it but slowed things down so much that device became unusable.

Sounds like a cool upgrade, though. I'll be upgrading eventually.

Just got a new iPhone 11 and the upgrade took a few hours to upload. Lots of new features to experience! I am going to have to print out a cheat sheet to make sure I don’t forget any.

I'm waiting for iOS 14.0.1 or iOS 14.1 before being a guinea pig.

Same here. I've had bad luck with OS upgrades done in the first week of release, so I'll wait for at least the first bugfix release.

Back in my IT days our upgrade goal was to be at least 6 months or one release behind. Let others be on the bleeding edge of technology.

I don't think 6 months is necessary for iOS or MacOS or iPadOS, but I will wait a few weeks. Also, I want to see how it runs on my iPad Air 2. It's an old machine and is already showing its age with iOS 13.xx

Had no problems with ios14 but watch07 was a miserable load for both me and DW. We are two generations behind with watch hardware. Both of us had huge problems with the exercise tracker until I unpaired/Re-paired. An obvious thing to do but I hate the time waste!! Now all good. Except “use watch to unlock Mac book “ feature seems broken. Apple service Said it was a known issue.

Last edited:
I updated my phone and Apple Watch last night.

For me, the most exciting upgrade is the addiction of pickleball as a tracked workout. Previously I was using “other” to track my pickleball.

Hey, I like dance as a new workout because a major exercise I’ve been doing lately is boogieing around the house, cooking, or housework, or just dancing. Now I can get some credit!

FWIW, iOS 14.2 beta was released to developers yesterday.

Rumor has it that (the first batch of) iPhone 12s will ship with iOS 14.1, and 14.2 will come out shortly afterwards.

I went ahead and put iOS 14 on all our i devices (iPhone SE, SE2, 8, iPad 5, Air, Air3, and TV3). We have not seen any problems so far.

I want to see how it runs on my iPad Air 2.

Sorry I lost the link, but there was a YouTube video of a guy running iOS8 and iPadOS14 on two iPad Air 2's side-by-side. While the newer OS was a bit slower to open apps, it wasn't a humongous difference. Also, Ars Technica has an article examining how iOS 14 runs on older phones (iPhone 6S and SE) here.

Watched several YouTube videos about the various features of iOS 14. Really like a lot of them. Others... meh.

Sorry I lost the link, but there was a YouTube video of a guy running iOS8 and iPadOS14 on two iPad Air 2's side-by-side. While the newer OS was a bit slower to open apps, it wasn't a humongous difference. Also, Ars Technica has an article examining how iOS 14 runs on older phones (iPhone 6S and SE) here.

Thanks for the link. It looks like the Air 2 has plenty of life left in her.

Based totally on my observations, I have noticed that phones and tablets seem to improve after a few months of the minor releases that follow a major change in the OS. I recall my iPhone 7 seeming to slow when iOS 13 was first installed, but after a few releases that fixed bugs and had 'performance improvements' it seemed to be snappy again.

Or maybe I just got used to somewhat slower performance. :)

Lately, I have noticed that the Air 2 often just stops for a while now and then. I find myself rebooting it several times a week, whereas two years ago, I often went weeks between a reboot. It's certainly not a big issue and not worth the price of a new Air 4 to fix the problem.

Last edited:
Lately, I have noticed that the Air 2 often just stops for a while now and then. I find myself rebooting it several times a week, whereas two years ago, I often went weeks between a reboot. It's certainly not a big issue and not worth the price of a new Air 4 to fix the problem.

Same here, except I used to go months without restarting. Now it's weeks. Some apps and web pages are starting to temporarily freeze or just slow down. I might have to blow some of that dough, since we're staying home and spending is less than a third of what firecalc says it could be this year.

I like the "double tap" on the back of the phone to turn on a feature/application on the iphone. I am using it to launch google assistant right now, might change it to something else down the road.

Oh there is also a "triple tap" that you can use

I finally (I think/hope?) figured out how to shut up/stop tiny suggestions that appear at the bottom of my screen (for example, “you often open NPR when earbuds are connected”).

It looks like they originate from Siri which I’ve never used. A bunch of setting on a per-app basis got toggled on during the iOS 14 install...

Last edited:
Yeah, I’ve been dealing with a lot of configurations that changed since iOS 14 install.

Yeah, I’ve been dealing with a lot of configurations that changed since iOS 14 install.

That can be a hassle with each of the new iOS releases. I don’t have much use for the “App Library” as I’ve used folders of my own to organize apps in a way that makes sense to me (but not Apple, I guess). I haven’t figured out how to say thanks but no thanks to App Library.

I don’t have much use for the “App Library” as I’ve used folders of my own to organize apps in a way that makes sense to me (but not Apple, I guess). I haven’t figured out how to say thanks but no thanks to App Library.

It doesn't work for me either. I organize my apps in my own way, so I don't benefit from the app library. Maybe next release they will let us set up our own system in the app library. If so, that will be a very nice feature.

So for now I'm just keeping them in folders on the home screens the way I always have.

Here’s an article saying you can’t disable the app library but gives tips on how to avoid it.

That made me smile. “Learn To Embrace the App Library”? That never worked long with blind dates either.

(but thanks for the link! Good to read I’m not the only one)

Last edited:
That can be a hassle with each of the new iOS releases. I don’t have much use for the “App Library” as I’ve used folders of my own to organize apps in a way that makes sense to me (but not Apple, I guess). I haven’t figured out how to say thanks but no thanks to App Library.

It's there, but you don't have to use it. You can keep your folder organization just the way you like it.

Back
Top Bottom