Ireland

When we drive anywhere in Europe, DW doesn't get to see much of the countryside. She is so freaked out by the narrow roads that her head is down staring into her iPhone. It really doesn't bother me that much, but it certainly makes you understand why Europeans shake their heads at Americans demanding lots of cupholders. Your job as a driver is to pay attention, not sip on your drink.

Looks similar to the tourist trip I did with my girlfriend in 2010, you are already hitting up a lot of the high points. Depending on what you like, there are a fair number of castles you can visit with that itinerary. On a personal family level, we have been partial since I was a kid to visiting Glendalough in Wicklow, and the Sally Gap is pretty to drive through (or it is grey and rainy, a constant possibility in Ireland). You are already hitting up the Ring of Kerry/Dingle Peninsula it looks like from your locations you are staying, definitely pretty and there are no shortage of nice places to stop for a bite to eat or to look at the views out west. Have a fun trip!

We didn't notice that spot, but definitely can understand why it would be there! We had many laughs about "two lane" roads with a line down the middle--but only enough room for one car. :LOL:

Yup, I've been in the car being driven back from the pub after the driver has had several pints, bombing down the country roads at 90km an hour, in the dark, on a road that is at best 1.5 car widths wide with raised berms on either side. To be fair, that's out in farm country and so there aren't THAT many people driving on the roads, but... still terrifying.

we drove around and hiked around the Island for about a month earlier this year. The neolithic ruins were mindboggling, and a surprise for us. DW did about 20 blogs on the trip, which focused on the spots we wanted to remember in future decades (and tout to friends!) Here's the first one: https://www.lisajtravels.com/2022-colombia/2022/5/6/dublin-ireland Or, if you'd like, click on her trip archives and look for the Ireland posts from 2022.

Oh, I see your wife wrote exactly the same thing about the 1.5 car wide roads with raised berms on both sides! :) Looks like you hit up many of the same spots we did! Kilkenny Castle, Rock of Cashel, etc.

Your wife's photoblog is great, reminded me of all my trips over the years! :)

In Kinsale currently. DH is taking a well deserved break from driving . We were just happy to find a space here lol. Beautiful town. I am in love with Ireland!

Back
Top Bottom