IRS FreeFile Errors / Rejected

CaptTom

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
On the off chance that there are a few others left on here with an AGI of less than $73K, I figured I'd ask this before I give up and mail in a paper return:

I got all the way through the FreeFile process, only to have the return rejected with one of those cryptic lists of error messages that you copy and paste into their web site to give you an equally cryptic solution, something about my bank routing number.

Yup. It looks like I copied and pasted only 8 of the 9 digits of my bank routing number. Fair enough. My mistake. I corrected it and re-submitted.

Another rejection. Similar error. I triple-checked. Yup, right numbers, same as last year, same as what my bank web site says.

I tried about four more times. I deleted all the banking information and re-entered it. I tried the account numbers from an account at a different bank. I tried leaving it blank so they'd send me a check. I tried re-entering it after submitting the blank one. All rejected.

The error codes were still pointing to the routing number in the "header." I can only assume that their software pulled the (incorrect) number out of line 35 on my first submission, and it's still wrong in my account "header" information in their database. There's no option I can see to delete my 1040 or my account information and start over.

I'm open to suggestions. I really hate sending my tax forms in via snail mail!

I know it is more work, but can you just open a "new" account and let the old one just sit there and expire in October as they do ever year (i. start completely over with new name and password, etc.)?

IRS FreeFile is provided by a bunch of different software companies. You can just pick a different provider and start over. (Unless you meant that you're using the Fillable Forms, in which case, you can pick any FreeFile provider.)

You could also bring your paperwork to an AARP Tax-Aide site near you. Volunteers will do your taxes for free and e-file them for you. Here's the locator: https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/locations.html There are no age or income requirements to use this service.

Did you check the box specifying whether it is a checking or savings account? That gave us an error message a few years ago.

ETA: We use the Free File Fillable Forms, if that's what you mean.

Thanks all! I should have specified, it was free fillable forms.

I tried several more things before I gave up and printed it out. I looked at the four third party vendors supporting the free program. I didn't get a good vibe from any of them. I even tried to read through their privacy policies but saw too many vague statements about sharing data with "partners" and such.

I was going to try by creating a new account with a different e-mail address, but since it already had our names and SS numbers, I figured it wouldn't let me.

I suspect the IRS isn't given much of a budget to support us freeloaders. The tax prep lobby is strong, and congress probably does everything they can to cripple this program.

It's obviously a simple coding error; the system just won't clear the incorrect number once it's been entered, even if you enter a new one (or even a blank.)

So, lesson learned. Double- and triple-check every line before submitting. Maybe this will help someone else avoid the hassle.

Just to close this out, the IRS has apparently fixed the bugs in their FreeFile system.

Last Monday I re-submitted my FreeFile return, the exact same one they kept rejecting in February. This time it identified a different error than they'd shown back then.

That new error was accurate. I had made a one-digit error in an ID number on a 1099. I fixed that and it was accepted right away.

Originally it had shown an error in my bank account number, which of course I'd checked and re-checked numerous times, and it was correct, then and now.

I hope that Free File Fillable forms is fixed for next year. I have used it about every year with no issues and over the years it became more user friendly. Then, this year it was a problem. I filed in February and finally got my refund in August. My fairly simple return was stuck in some processing queue.

Just another data point.
I used Free File Fillable forms this February and had no issues and had my refund in maybe 7 days. I really like it, although it really isn't that much different than just doing taxes the old fashion way by hand.
(Full disclosure, I do hate keying in all the 1099 data, so I try to minimize the number of accounts I pull from each year to minimize the number of 1099s. :LOL:)

The problem I had with Free Fillable Forms wasn't the entry screens or submitting. It was with the error handling.

As far as I can tell, the problem started when I typed one digit wrong in a number from one of my 1099s. That caused the form to be (appropriately) rejected.

Unfortunately, the process they offer to interpret the error was flawed. It incorrectly reported that the problem was with my bank routing number for the deposit. Obviously no amount of verifying and re-typing that number resolved the issue, and the submission kept getting rejected.

When I tried again seven months later, the correct error was indicated and it only took a moment to find and fix the issue. The corrected form was accepted and I got my refund within a few days.

Moral of the story: triple-check EVERY digit of EVERY number I enter next time!

Back
Top Bottom