Is it true, only 8% Retire at age 65?

Did you count all those exclamation marks! That's a dead giveaway to misleading statistics. Probably the hand of Rupert Murdoch.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

statistics can be skewed any way you want.

the funniest was we saw a anti drunk driving commercial. they said 45% of all accidents involve drinking or drugs.

i said to my wife ,see i knew it. it is actually safer to drive stoned , statistics prove it since the straight folks have 55% of the accidents.

i rarely pay attention to any statistic. insurers care about them . they can tell us how many will live and die each year.

but since they can't tell us who , we only have two outcomes . things work out or they don't.

in any case we still have to plan until 90-95 because it might be us.

I don't have anything to cite, but the " 6 % have died " by age 65 , I'm pretty sure that is way off, a swag would be like 20% so I would question the info they are presenting to you in this class.
* FWIW, according to the 2010 US Life Tables, 15% of newborns die before age 65, 13% of people age 35 die before 65, and 6% of people age 59 die before 65.
http://www.early-retirement.org/for...y-8-retire-at-age-65-a-76289.html#post1566627
Products - Life Tables - Homepage

According to Gallup, the reality is that the average retirement age of Americans is 62.

I made it by age 61.5, whew! Just under the wire. But wait! The average retirement age in 2009, when I retired, was 60 instead of 62. So, I guess I was not actually an early retiree at all. :(

Anyway, as you can see from this graph from Gallup, people ARE having a hard time retiring as early as they once did, but the situation is not as dire as some might have us believe. I wish this graph was of medians instead of averages, but I think it gives us a general idea at least.

Attachments

• retirementage.jpg
    retirementage.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 22
My guess of 20% have died by age 65 is off , gov. says about 15% overall from the 2010 life tables.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr63/nvsr63_07.pdf

I could easily dismiss the life tables because I was born healthy, no genetic problems, and didn't do too many stupid male things that tend to kill us. Unfortunately now turning 50 the enviable reliability factor of the tables will be coming at me in full force. Just have to hope there is a chair under my rear every time the music stops from here on out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sigh. I get so tired of the way statistics are used by people with agendas.
In general, the only people who will bother to come up with a statistical presentation have an agenda. Why else leave the hammock?

Ha

I could easily dismiss the life tables because I was born healthy, no genetic problems, and didn't do too many stupid male things that tend to kill us. Unfortunately now turning 50 the enviable reliability factor of the tables will be coming at me in full force. Just have to hope there is a chair under my rear every time the music stops from here on out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just get a sex change operation and you might immediately shift your curve up by several years. Chair found!

Ha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom