Is it what you thought...?

ajs56

Recycles dryer sheets
...ER, that is.

Our finances are in order, and I am planning to FIRE within the next few months, either PT or completely, and have been giving lots of thought to what I/we will do, etc., once I FIRE. As far as my work, I have a great job with a great employer, but I am not at all defined by my work. I have a few friends through work who will still be friends without the work connection. So no difficulty leaving the work place. It's been great, but it's time to move on to the next phase.

DW and I are 50 and do co-own rental properties which take a few (10-20) flexible hours per week (mostly bookkeeping/accounting functions), but that's a no hassle situation for us. And I have developed a fun part-time hobby as a musical performer which is very enjoyable and enables us to get out and about, meet new people and see new places, and pick up some $$ as well. I'm interested in further developing my long time interests in music, writing and photography as well. DW wants to do more traveling (mostly domestic road trips), visitng family and friends and seeing the country, and we are both invloved with local volunteer efforts, and could likely have grandkids within a few years. So, with those things and normal home and automobile chores, etc., I think we have MORE than enough to keep us active and engaged!

I am curious as to what, if anything, you FIREd folks may have found that surprised you once you RE'd. Did your perceptions change once you had "all" the free time to do as you wish, or is the grass truly as green on the FIRE side of the fence as it looks? Were there any issues with finances, sharing the house full time with your SO, or any other unforeseen things, either good or bad? Any thing that you spend more/less time or money on than you had anticipated? We've given it a ton of thought and discussion, and we think we know what to expect (as much as possible), but we'd love to hear from those of you who have "crossed over".

Thanks!

I retired at 59 so I was ready for retirement .The one thing that surprized me is how lazy I've gotten .There is always tomorrow .The first six months I was a real slug but now I'm finally accomplishing things .I had planned to just whip through my home projects but now at ten months retired I'm just starting them .I did teach myself how to sell on Ebay and I've been pretty sucessful which has been fun . I also took a financial planning course and a bread baking course .Plus I've been back & forth to Pa. helping my mother. Hey,maybe I haven't been a total slug .

The one thing that surprized me is how lazy I've gotten .There is always tomorrow.

I'm thinking this is a possibility for me as well. But I will say, since the kids have been gone and we don't have school events/games, etc sucking up our time, I do get more things done around the house...

Do you think it's a lack of structure and expectation of a certain level "productivity" (i.e. identifiable job requirements), or do you feel you're not meeting your own "production quota"?

It's better than I thought.

The first 6 months, I worked my way down a lost of things that I felt I was behind in. Then I realized that I didn't need to do it all...right away.

Now my life is a combination of getting things done and enjoying myself.

It's been 2 years and it's getting better and better.

You worry about these issues less.

KB,

That's what I'm thinking will happen. Seems as though more things will appear to fill your time as you have the time to copnceive of them. Like digging a hole in sand, that keeps filling in. Only you have all the time you need to keep digging. Sounds good.

I retired last year at 48, with high expectations of how much I would enjoy
being retired. Results have exceeded expectations. RE is not overrated.

[
Do you think it's a lack of structure and expectation of a certain level "productivity" (i.e. identifiable job requirements), or do you feel you're not meeting your own "production quota"?[/quote]

I think it's pretty typical to go through a slug period .It's our bodies making up for years of stress .Plus I was so used to being busy every moment that it took me awhile to slow down .

[
Do you think it's a lack of structure and expectation of a certain level "productivity" (i.e. identifiable job requirements), or do you feel you're not meeting your own "production quota"?

I think it's pretty typical to go through a slug period .It's our bodies making up for years of stress .Plus I was so used to being busy every moment that it took me awhile to slow down .[/quote]

Several months of 'slug'.

Sleeping 10 hours a night, tapered off to 7 or 8.

And it is such good sleep; without tooth-grinding or work dreams or can't find office/desk/classroom/car... dreams.

Dare I ask if any RE's have gained weight since FIRE? No more stress driven running around like a chicken with your head cut off? Or is there simply more time for physical play? (this is what I am looking forward to)

Dare I ask if any RE's have gained weight since FIRE? No more stress driven running around like a chicken with your head cut off? Or is there simply more time for physical play? (this is what I am looking forward to)

From retirement (31 Dec '04) to 01 Jul '07, I lost 70 pounds.

As the stress went away, so did the stress eating.

ajs56
I am curious as to what, if anything, you FIREd folks may have found that surprised you once you RE'd.

What surprised me was the lack of guilt about leaving the j#b behind. I'm a nurse and as a care giver you always put everyone ahead of your self. Have not had one moment where I thought of all of those in need out there. I am not indispensable and people are getting care...just not by me.

Did your perceptions change once you had "all" the free time to do as you wish, or is the grass truly as green on the FIRE side of the fence as it looks?

Greener.

Were there any issues with finances, sharing the house full time with your SO, or any other unforeseen things, either good or bad?

The money part is not an issue. Since we took everyone's advice and did not make any drastic changes to our lifestyle we see that we live well below the income that our investments kick off. Being at home 24/7 with the love of my life is another matter. We had to work that part out. We have out own hobbies and go to different parts of the house to have alone time. DH also loves to go out on the Burgman to ride the highway and byways and he does stay out overnight when he does that so that gives us time away from each other.

Any thing that you spend more/less time or money on than you had anticipated?

Less money on eating out. I love to cook so have the time, energy and newly remodeled kitchen to do it. More money on travel. We have the time and don't have to arrange it around a job. Just love not having to put in vacation time at the beginning of the year and then not making plans until the time is approved. Or having to arrange coverage when you want a few days off.

We've given it a ton of thought and discussion, and we think we know what to expect (as much as possible), but we'd love to hear from those of you who have "crossed over".

Thanks!

Between surfing & tae kwon do I've packed on a good bit of ER muscle. Most of my jackets & dress shirts are too small in the chest & shoulders and my slacks are too loose in the waist. I weigh a couple pounds more than during my working years, but the "quality" & distribution has improved a tremendously.

Cattusbabe,

Thanks for your reply. While I realize that everyone has a different story and reaction, it's good to hear folks talk about their experiences. Sounds like it has been GOOD for you guys. Glad to hear the grass is even GREENER! BTW, what's a Burgman?

Thanks again.

I am curious as to what, if anything, you FIREd folks may have found that surprised you once you RE'd. Did your perceptions change once you had "all" the free time to do as you wish, or is the grass truly as green on the FIRE side of the fence as it looks?.......Any thing that you spend more/less time or money on than you had anticipated?

No surprises here! Everything is pretty much as I had figured it would be. And, YES, the grass IS greener on this side!!! As for spending more/less time or money than anticipated.....I spend about the same amount of money as I did pre-FIRE, it's just spent differently. I spend a lot less on eating out, since I don't go out for lunch everyday like I did while w*rking. However, I spend more on trips and traveling than I used to, because I have the free time to go more!

The FIRE life is GREAT!!!

I've lost about an inch around the waist. I get more exercise now, and I don't snack as much as I did while w*rking. Also I frequently skip lunch because I'm either busy doing something else, or else I'm just not hungry. It's usually the latter, since I eat breakfast about 3 hours later now.....usually around 9am, instead of 6am like while I was w*rking. Before FIRE'ing, I ate lunch out 5 days a week.

15 months into retirement. So far, retirement has been about what I had hoped for. Definitely got a bit lazy but I think this is more about regeneration of the body after 35 years of working my butt off. I have also lost 25 pounds due to less office and plane sitting, and more natural and planned physical exercise.

Cattusbabe,

Thanks for your reply. While I realize that everyone has a different story and reaction, it's good to hear folks talk about their experiences. Sounds like it has been GOOD for you guys. Glad to hear the grass is even GREENER! BTW, what's a Burgman?

Thanks again.

Bergman400-2.jpg

The other woman.;)

Ahhh, THOSE Burgmans! ;) I've seen those around, but didn't know what they were. Thanks!

No surprises here! Everything is pretty much as I had figured it would be. And, YES, the grass IS greener on this side!!!
The FIRE life is GREAT!!!

Thanks Goonie, that's two votes for the grass being greener on the FIREside!

Back
Top Bottom