Is there a legal way

I used to travel abroad about 200 days a year; DW would come with me and the company paid for just about everything. Food, transport, entertainment, lodging, most weekend expenses etc. We banked quite a bit over those 20+ years as a result.

There was talk at the time of the IRS considering it taxable but it never went anywhere.

One of my co-workers was going through a divorce and his soon-to-be ex's lawyer argued that his travel was 'income' because he wasn't spending his own living expenses but again, it never went anywhere.

Last edited:
If you earned $12k and made a $6,500 tIRA contribution then your income would be $5,500. If that is too much, then limit your hours and earnings to $6,500 so your income will be zero.

Don’t forget, you can also make contributions to a spouse’s IRA, bringing the total possible IRA contributions to $13K. (Don’t know if the OP is married)

pb4uski >>> that is mostly likely what I will do. My objective is to keep my income low so I can receive a lower premium from ACA. If this money doesn't count for income for that year then that what I will do.

Thanks everyone for the advise it all has been very helpful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom