Is this forum active?

Not personal at all. This was a long time ago (late 70s, early 80s). But I showed mostly Balinese and some Siamese. I don't know if you go to particular shows for particular associations but in case you do know anything about this a bit of history.

Back in the late 70s the main cat associations were CFA and then I guess 2nd was ACFA. CFA was much slower to accept the newer breeds and they often had little chance there in their early years. So raising Balinese (relatively new for CFA) I ended up mostly showing in ACFA. I didn't realist at the time but there were huge splits within ACFA and soon after I started showing ACFA split in half. I lived in Texas and an ACFA judge there founded TICA. I was a charter member. It was a huge adventure for someone new to showing since they were building an association from the ground up. It was a very big question whether TICA could even survive. (By the way the Siamese I showed were tortiepoints so in CFA were called colorpoints). Anyway, I was very active for a few years. But this was early in my career (I had just gotten out of school when I got involved) and ultimately cat shows and breeding weren't really something I could combine with my work. So, at that point, I happily became simply a cat owner. I used to occasionally go to shows but probably haven't been to one in 10 or 15 years. I really ought to go to one now that we've moved.

We moved about 1500 miles a little over 3 months ago and are about to close on a house next week. I had never moved out of my home state before so it has been a huge adjustment. We are happy we moved. We are happy with the new location. But, I have come to realize how very different one part of the country can be from another. I keep getting completely surprised....

I´m not from USA so I´m unfortunately not familiar with CFA, ACFA etc, but I do like siamese cats A LOT! Balinese are beautiful as well but I have little to no knowledge about them. Siamese on the other hand, I have been thinking about that breed a lot to buy for my cat as a friend but I think maybe siamese a bit TOO vocal/loud. I don´t know but I always liked them so much, siamese, orientals but also maine coon, norweigan forest cat are on my top list.

I was on the cat show recently and for the one who asked before, no way, this is not some circus show:LOL: This was almost only for cat breeders, so there were lots of different types of breeds, champion only though, I was only there as a guest but I saw all breeds there and which one who took home the prices for best in show etc.

I can stronly recommend you to visit a cat show again if it was long time since you went on one. On the shows I go to the cats are taken very good care of but I wouldn´t support any cat show if I got the feeling they were misstreated etc, those things are just so sad to watch.

My cats put on a show every morning as they chase each other through the house. It is 75 feet from the front door to the back and almost a straight line, so they can really build up some speed.

Hi everyone, I was looking for a forum to join that involves other early retired people. I found this but I get the impression it's not active? I'm 40 years old and got retired last year so I consider myself as a young retiree, the problem is that I know absolute no one else that share my lifestyle. Would be nice to see if this being read, here's hoping.

Oh gosh yes this is an active forum!

What is FRA? Fugitive Recovery Agent? A monk's title? Too many initials...

No sure where you saw it, but around these parts, folks generally mean Full Retirement Age - the age at which you can get unreduced Social Security. For people born in 1960 and later, that is 67.

No sure where you saw it, but around these parts, folks generally mean Full Retirement Age - the age at which you can get unreduced Social Security. For people born in 1960 and later, that is 67.

Howdy, Gumby. I tried to post this earlier, but the gorgeous, lovely, incredibly smart website censors thought better of allowing it. But just for the sake of a few giggles, I thought I'd try again.

(Dear marvelous, splendid people in charge: this link is harmless, not spam. Not a virus. Not harmful in any way, unless you consider Eddie Murphy to be wholly negative and threatening.)
https://youtu.be/JmraSlvTuFw

Thank you. Let me take the opportunity to address an issue you raise in your post that many members wonder about.

First, links that are posted with no explanatory text as to what they are or why they are posted are known as "naked links". They are prohibited by the Community Rules https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=rules and are generally deleted. It really has nothing to do with the moderators' view of the content of the post. It's just that many people won't open naked links because a) they don't want to waste their time and/or b) a legitimate fear of viruses. So the best practice is to write something about the link when you post it.

Second, if you ever need to communicate with the moderators or administrators or you want to complain about moderation, the proper way is to send any one of us a PM. We share the ones we receive, so a PM to one is a PM to all. As is also set forth in the Community Rules, we almost never communicate about moderation in the open threads. I am making an exception today because it is an issue that has come up often recently.

We are here to help, so if your post disappears and you wonder why, just send me a PM. I will answer it promptly.

I guess I'm FRA then...😁😁

Hi, I am wondering how you might think this forum is NOT active? What made you think that? I am sure you are computer savvy and can see quite easily how many are on, and how often members post. Also, since it is an EARLY Retirement group most people joined well before a more 'normal' retirement age. So there are younger ages. Of course, many of those younger people, who joined years ago, now, of course became older. But this is definitely a great group for Early Retirement thoughts and information. Welcome.

I'm on the couch, watching the Astros lose, and can accurately be described as inactive. What about you?'''
Edit: Good to see the OP explored a little more of the site.

Last edited:
My cats put on a show every morning as they chase each other through the house. It is 75 feet from the front door to the back and almost a straight line, so they can really build up some speed.

I used to have a condo that had a hallway that was about 20 feet long. PETA would probably have a fit with this these days, but I used to get a kick out of getting the cats riled up and chasing the laser pointer. I'd usually end up with one at one cat at each end of the hallway, and they'd both charge at the light in the middle, and collide.

OP - a great way to see all the active posts quickly is to click the "Today's Posts" menu choice at top of your screen. I visit this forum often and that's the first thing I click - it lets me quickly scan all the new interesting discussions. :greetings10:

To be frank, why does it even matter what the reason is behind why someome is early retired? I think is more important to find people that are similar because they are so very few

IMHO, it only "matters" to the extent that people are naturally curious about the lives and backgrounds of others they meet and become acquainted with, as part of normal social interactions and conversations. If you think about it, this curiosity is what underlies pretty much every movie, book, TV show, play, and story ever told. We all want to know, for example, why Harry Potter ended up living under the stairs at his aunt's house. What happened earlier in his life that led him to that unusual place? Can you imagine reading that book (or watching that movie) without ever getting an answer to that question? That's my two cents on the matter, FWIW.

Regardless of how much or little you choose to share, welcome to the forum. :flowers:

I golf 4 to 5 days a week. The other days, I bake or if I am more ambitious do more complexed dinners, ones that take 3 to 4 hours or so to prepare and cook. Once a month or so, we host small group dinners with close friends and those are quite exhausting while being very enjoyable. In the evenings, we usually watch something on Accorn as we love non-American detective series, or HGTV.

We travel about 3 months a year, mainly in timeshare where we golf and dine. We used to love cruising and have cut that down to almost zero this year because I get bored after a day or so on the ship because I would want to get off and golf.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom