Italy - comfortable smaller cities to relax in

Yeah but what's the weather like in the Cinque Terre offseason?

If there are heavy rains, you can't really hike the paths can you?

That area had problems from big mud slides which occurred over 5 years ago and they still haven't restored all the paths.

My favorite place for sheer beauty in Italy is the Dolomite Mountains just north of Cortina d'Ampezzo.

We spent 3 nights in Castelrotto in the Dolomites 2.5 years ago (october)...we rode the cable car each day up to Compaccio and hiked --- ski country but we were there pre-snow and the area was pretty stunning. We'd hike then sit out on one of the lift patios and drink wine and eat a plate of french fries.

Last edited:
My close friend lives in Lugano, Switzerland--just over the hill from Lake Como. He's expecting to get his Covid immunization in another month, and he's been locked down 15 months. But it's a great place to quarantine in.

My favorite place for sheer beauty in Italy is the Dolomite Mountains just north of Cortina d'Ampezzo. Northeast of there, the Grossglockner High Alpine Road is 12,343' elevation and it ends in Zell-Am-See, Austria.

I’ve spent time in Val Gardena, not so much in eastern Dolomites. Trying to spend some nights around Corvara. Still not quite Cortina but closer.

I’ve taken day trips to Lugano while staying in Lake Como but haven’t spent enough time there. Maybe some day, though I’m not really interested in trekking or even a lot of mountain hiking.

Will do just enough to get to beautiful places but not hike for hike’s sake.

we went on a trip about 6 years ago, without any real plans (just a rental car) to, in the following order (flew into Rome and out of Milan):
Orvieto (hour north of rome)
Volterra (walled town on the west coast)
Assisi (east, a bit out of the way, but worth it)
Varenna (on one of the lakes north of Milan)

All great stops - each offered something different.

On another trip probably 15 yrs ago, we went to mosaic school for a week in Ravenna on the east coast), with a short stop in Verona (which we love and returned to visit again on another trip), then flew back out of Venice.

Any of these or Verona or Lucca.

If in summer, the farther north the better. Maybe Lake Como in fact.

I love love love Sicily. Husband has family there so we visit every time we go to Europe and it's a diverse island - I hope you get to take in more than just a passing glance. Siracusa and Modica are my favorites - both at the southern end. That part of your trip should be awesome.

Depending on how you are travelling... I'm a big fan of Bologna - but it may be too hard to get to in the window of time you are looking at. It's a college town with amazing food. I want to go back and explore some more. Trying to talk my kids into doing graduate work there when they get out of their undergrad schooling.

Another choice would be Bari, in Puglia. We went to Puglia in 2019 for the first time. Really beautiful and a great place to relax. We had a vrbo 'villa' (house) outside Ostuni. But that would absolutely require a car. Bari has an airport with direct flights from Palermo and Catania. It is on the water with a beautiful harbor and nearby beaches. If you go to Bari - Be sure to check out Alberobello as a day trip. And if you have time we did an e-bike tour from Martina Franca to Alberobello and back through the Valle d'Itria (trulli's everywhere) that was the highlight of my vacation.

Depending on how you are travelling... I'm a big fan of Bologna - but it may be too hard to get to in the window of time you are looking at. It's a college town with amazing food. I want to go back and explore some more. Trying to talk my kids into doing graduate work there when they get out of their undergrad schooling.

Another choice would be Bari, in Puglia. We went to Puglia in 2019 for the first time. Really beautiful and a great place to relax. We had a vrbo 'villa' (house) outside Ostuni. But that would absolutely require a car. Bari has an airport with direct flights from Palermo and Catania. It is on the water with a beautiful harbor and nearby beaches. If you go to Bari - Be sure to check out Alberobello as a day trip. And if you have time we did an e-bike tour from Martina Franca to Alberobello and back through the Valle d'Itria (trulli's everywhere) that was the highlight of my vacation.
Here's an amusing Bari story: Decades ago, I arrived in Bari via ferry from Greece with my bike and with 3 other cyclists. We went to a pizza restaurant for our first dinner in Italy. We sat in a pretty outdoor courtyard, and a young boy about 8 years old and perhaps the son of the owner, watched us intently during our dinner. We ordered several pizzas and a carafe of wine. All of my cycling friends only spoke English. While I don't really speak Italian, I knew a lot of Italian words including numbers, question words, and food words. I speak French and I had learned on a previous trip in Italy that if I said a French word but pronounced it as though it were an Italian word, I could make myself understood. I had to do all of the communication for the 4 of us.

When the bill came, it was seriously inflated, including an expensive appetizer we hadn't ordered, and our cheap carafe of wine had been replaced with an expensive bottle of wine on the bill. We paid at a register indoors, where I attempted to argue in my broken Italian with the owner, who stubbornly refused to admit the bill was false. When it came to the wine, I pointed to the bill and said, "no bottiglia, una caraffa," The man shook his head. Then the young boy who had followed us inside, suddenly yelled: "Si, una caraffa!". The man raised his arm as though he wanted to hit the boy, who quickly ran out of the room. My friends & I started to laugh. We calculated the amount of money we thought the bill should be, put it on the counter, and left.

And here's a Bologna story, which is widely considered the culinary capital of Italy: When I went to a restaurant in Bologna, I asked "Parli inglese o francese?" (Do you speak English or French?). A waitress spoke French. Everyone in the restaurant apparently assumed I was French (I also had arrived by bicycle, which may have further convinced them I'm French). Of course, the good people of Bologna knew that France is also famous for great food. The whole staff treated me like a king, and I had a delicious meal.

We were in Italy for 3 weeks in November 2015. The weather was good and the sites were empty, rained a couple days but it was awesome. Flew into Rome, spent a couple days-picked up a rental car and spent the rest of the time exploring hill towns, Cinque Terra, Florence, Lucca, Assisi, and ended up in Venice-where we gave back our car and explored the city for a couple days. Open Jaw flight is the way to go. We stayed at 3 different hotels and opted for Marriotts rather than local places.

Back
Top Bottom