Avalon Wine Lovers cruise on the Poetry II

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi all. We are cruising with Avalon on the Rhóne & Saóne rivers (Northbound) in October, 2025. We would appreciate anyone’s comments who have taken this cruise. Specifically, does one side of the ship offer better views or is quieter? We plan on reserving a Panorama room on “Royal” deck- would a cabin neater the back of the ship be quieter? Also, would you recommend any of the excursions? We have cruised only once with Avalon (last year) and enjoyed our cruise. Thanks!

Have you looked on CruiseCritic for reviews? That's what I would do first.

Hi all. We are cruising with Avalon on the Rhóne & Saóne rivers (Northbound) in October, 2025. We would appreciate anyone’s comments who have taken this cruise. Specifically, does one side of the ship offer better views or is quieter? We plan on reserving a Panorama room on “Royal” deck- would a cabin neater the back of the ship be quieter? Also, would you recommend any of the excursions? We have cruised only once with Avalon (last year) and enjoyed our cruise. Thanks!
Yes, I looked there first but nothing about this specific cruise. I will post there as well, but we’ve received a lot of good information here. Thanks.

Yes, I looked there first but nothing about this specific cruise. I will post there as well, but we’ve received a lot of good information here. Thanks.
As a teen, I took a Rhine River cruise for a long day. We didn't have cabins but spent most of our time on the observation deck or in the ship's dining area (where it was easy to move about for a better view.) Don't know if this helps, but my thinking would be: Sleep in your cabin at night but wander the ship in the day time for the best view. Just a thought as I am NOT an expert and YMMV.

DW and took the cruise quite a while ago. Our itinerary started in Lyon, a city that many consider the gustatory capital of France. If I were to take it again I would spend a couple days in Lyon.
We sailed up the Saone to Beaune, a great Burgundy wine town with a medieval look. We had tastings at a couple cellars and had an opportunity to ship some wine home (we didn't). It was raining the day we were there, so we didn't get to explore much on foot. After Beaune we backtracked to the confluence with the Rhone at Lyon, with a brief stop at Macon (known for white wine) on the way.
On the Rhone, we toured Vienne, site of numerous Roman ruins, including a theater and a well-preserved temple. There's also a Romanesque Christian church. We overnighted in Tournon/l'Hermitage.
The next day I suspect we stopped in Valence, although I can't recall -- it looks like a city of note with some historical significance, and the river flows through the center of town. A nice feature of this cruise is that you disembark in the center of each port of call, which is especially nice in cities like Avignon and Arles.
We overnighted in Viviers, a medieval French village. One of our on-board guides had a home there and took us there for a tour.
The next day we visited the Roman aqueduct at Pont du Gard, which required a short bus ride. Then we arrived at Avignon and its papal palace. The next day was Arles, where, IIRC, the actual cruise ended. Our tour included a couple days at Aix-en-Provence (lovely, lively city) along with a day trip to Marseille, where we began our return flight home.
Before we did that, though, we rented a car and explored the Camargue and other parts of Provence for a few days. I highly recommend a side trip through the Camargue if you can swing it.

Thanks for some great advice Mr. Graybeard and Souschef. We’ve been to some of the places you mentioned a couple of years ago, but will be cruising with some friends (who have never been on a cruise before). We will make sure we hit as many of the places you described.

If you venture into the Camargue, be sure to visit Aigues-Mortes, a walled medieval city that was the embarkation point for Louis IX's troops in the 13th century for the Seventh and Eighth Crusades. It looks like a movie set for Robin Hood. We stayed overnight there in a little pension and dined at a patio on the town square. Loved it!
There's also a charming little seaside town called Stes. Maries de la Mer that is a pilgrimage site for the Roma people every May.

Back
Top Bottom