It's funny, now that I FIRE'd

Sasset

Recycles dryer sheets
It's funny, now that I have been FIRE'd for almost 2 months I haven't run one retirement calculator or hardly looked at my spreadsheets or retirement accounts. I haven't spent as much time at this forum either. This is after spending years calculating and re-calculating, working and re-working my plan, as well as reading everything I could about early retirement. Thanks to the help this forum and all this work, I actually was ready to retire!

I find I don't miss anything about Megacorp and even rarely think about the people that I worked with for so long. I am getting more sleep (still not enough). I am still working on de-stressing, but I think that the stress is mostly now, because I an working on selling my home to move and downsize. Until last week I was working on purging stuff and staging the house. In the middle of this, the water heater decided to leak and flood one of the rooms in the basement. (Unplanned spending and time, but I have it covered.) That is now fixed and the house is now on the market this week. I have had a couple of showings so far. I just wish it was sold and I can move on.

As of this week the house is ready, I finally got confirmation that retiree medical is started and the pension rollover is happening this week, so today is the first day I have nothing really to do! I enjoyed a walk to the park down the road, something I have never had time to do until now.

I wonder now why it was so hard to pull the trigger to FIRE this last year! Again, I want to thank the forum for the collective wisdom that helped get me here.

when i first retired i called the bank a few days before the end of the month to see if my direct deposited pension check had come. i think i did that for about 5 months. i no longer check it and when the monthly bank statement comes i glance at it. it takes a while to get used to this new phase of ur life. i hope u sell ur home quickly and get fair value for it. my mom sold her house in 2 hours, they had a bidding war on her front stoop. she got 16 thousand more than she was asking with no inspection. i wish you and myself the same luck when we sell our homes

It's funny, now that I have been FIRE'd for almost 2 months I haven't run one retirement calculator or hardly looked at my spreadsheets or retirement accounts. I haven't spent as much time at this forum either. This is after spending years calculating and re-calculating, working and re-working my plan, as well as reading everything I could about early retirement. Thanks to the help this forum and all this work, I actually was ready to retire!

I find I don't miss anything about Megacorp and even rarely think about the people that I worked with for so long. I am getting more sleep (still not enough). I am still working on de-stressing, but I think that the stress is mostly now, because I an working on selling my home to move and downsize. Until last week I was working on purging stuff and staging the house. In the middle of this, the water heater decided to leak and flood one of the rooms in the basement. (Unplanned spending and time, but I have it covered.) That is now fixed and the house is now on the market this week. I have had a couple of showings so far. I just wish it was sold and I can move on.

As of this week the house is ready, I finally got confirmation that retiree medical is started and the pension rollover is happening this week, so today is the first day I have nothing really to do! I enjoyed a walk to the park down the road, something I have never had time to do until now.

I wonder now why it was so hard to pull the trigger to FIRE this last year! Again, I want to thank the forum for the collective wisdom that helped get me here.

Congratulations! I can relate to what you said about agonizing before RE and wondering what took me so long to do it post RE. Enjoy!

Good for you. I can relate to all you said.

It's funny, now that I have been FIRE'd for almost 2 months I haven't run one retirement calculator or hardly looked at my spreadsheets or retirement accounts. I haven't spent as much time at this forum either. This is after spending years calculating and re-calculating...

I had exactly the same experience. In case you're wondering, that doesn't change. The shift from a future focus to the present is permanent.

I find I don't miss anything about Megacorp and even rarely think about the people that I worked with for so long.

Same here. Once I closed that door behind me, that was it.

I am getting more sleep (still not enough). I am still working on de-stressing...

I realized after retiring that I'd been sleep deprived for years! You'll catch up. Also, the stress goes away in layers. It took about two years for me to realize what deep relaxation felt like. I'm not sure I had ever experienced it before in my life.

It's funny, now that I have been FIRE'd for almost 2 months I haven't run one retirement calculator or hardly looked at my spreadsheets or retirement accounts.

I still track my investments like I always did. This is my first year of RE and I am going to track my spending too, but mainly because I am curious to see how close my estimate was to reality.

I find I don't miss anything about Megacorp and even rarely think about the people that I worked with for so long. I am getting more sleep (still not enough). I am still working on de-stressing, but I think that the stress is mostly now, because I an working on selling my home to move and downsize.

I miss nothing about the job, but I miss a few of the people some. I do feel like I am 'decompressing'. Sleep is better, but not as much as I expected.

I finally got confirmation that retiree medical is started and the pension rollover is happening this week, so today is the first day I have nothing really to do!

My pension and medical start this month. I have no clue when I will have "nothing to do". Travel is already ramped up; we have a list of yard projects to do, and the travel is generating a lot of photos that need to be processed and I am falling behind. I still need more free time for reading and music.

I wonder now why it was so hard to pull the trigger to FIRE this last year!

There was nothing hard about it. Cheers, all!

My pension and medical start this month. I have no clue when I will have "nothing to do". Travel is already ramped up; we have a list of yard projects to do, and the travel is generating a lot of photos that need to be processed and I am falling behind. I still need more free time for reading and music.

There was nothing hard about it. Cheers, all!

Thanks for the comment it reminds me that I need to get back to reading. I have several books that I bought that I hadn't had time to read in the past.

I really should have said that yesterday was the first day I didn't have anything I "had" to do

My plan for the present is to work on getting more exercise and eating more healthy. I plan to see if I have more that I can purge and sell some furniture.

I plan to move back to my home town this summer and to plan some travel this fall. That's why I am so ready for the house to sell and get on with it.

Now that I think about it, I should plan some day trips around here to see some of the local attractions while I am waiting for the house to sell! Thanks for your post. It got me to thinking about enjoying this time instead of just stressing about selling the house.

Interesting perspective Sasset. I recall checking my retirement fund balances almost DAILY for years before retiring. It was almost an obsession. I read everything I could find about retirement and day dreamed about the freedom to come. How quickly I adapted to retirement! I check my balances quarterly unless I anticipate a withdrawal. I do still spend a fair amount of my time here, though I joined AFTER retirement - I lurked before that for several years.

By the way, congrats on your recent retirement!

Back
Top Bottom