July 4th celebrations 2 long 4 us

msefren

Dryer sheet wannabe
Our 4th of July celebrations began June 24th when fireworks go on sale in our town and last every night past midnight til ~ July 10th. We are out of city limits so there are no city restrictions (as if that does any good).

Many people complained in our newspaper OpEd. One wrote "what happened to celebrating Independence Day on July 4th only?"

Another (younger reader?) said "get over it...use earplugs"

My DW jumps every time the large artillery shells go off. Dogs disappear for days at a time.
One nice thing is that the birds leave so DW doesn't have to refill the feeder as often.

Comments? (We have already tried margaritas to no avail)

Mr. "Get off my lawn" Grumpy and wife :facepalm:

The county I live in recently passed a law (difficult-to-impossible to enforce) prohibiting use of fireworks on any day other than July 4th, and also put a late time on it, I forget what the time limit is.

It didn't stop the problem entirely but it has made a noticeable improvement.

I agree with you. It's not quite as bad as you describe here where we live, but still pretty bad. Somebody down the street was even blasting off a few fireworks last night (July 16!). Seems like the time period for shooting off fireworks has gradually expanded over the years. When I was a kid, I'm sure it was just 2-3 days (and mostly just one night), and that was it. I sympathize with the people who have dogs that are terrified of the noise, and also people that have to work early in the morning. And the really sad thing is that I'm sure many of the people shooting off this stuff for weeks on end really have no idea what Independence Day is all about (other than the 4th of July, when we shoot off fireworks). :(

Our 4th of July celebrations began June 24th when fireworks go on sale in our town and last every night past midnight til ~ July 10th. We are out of city limits so there are no city restrictions (as if that does any good).

Many people complained in our newspaper OpEd. One wrote "what happened to celebrating Independence Day on July 4th only?"

My DW jumps every time the large artillery shells go off. Dogs disappear for days at a time.
One nice thing is that the birds leave so DW doesn't have to refill the feeder as often.

Well, definitely don't move here! We have fireworks all the time for events at the convention center and the hotels, the summer pops concerts, Sea World, New Years Eve, and who knows what else. I think it's between 60 and 75 nights per year. Independence Day is barely a blip on the fireworks radar around here!

My suggestion for next year would be to plan a trip to Canada that covers this timeframe.

My suggestion for next year would be to plan a trip to Canada that covers this timeframe.

Or England. I'm given to understand that there they call it "Insurrection Day". It is not a holiday.:D

Favorite story Lincoln was fond of telling:
Ethan Allen returned to England after the war, and the British made fun of him. One day they put a picture of George Washington in an outhouse where Allen would be sure to see it. He used the outhouse but said nothing about the picture. Then the British asked him about it and Allen said it was a very appropriate place for an Englishman to hang the picture because “nothing will make an Englishman **** so quick as the sight of General Washington.”

I cannot wait for Diwali [sarcasm]
week long fireworks by my South Asia Indian neighbors.

Pretty much the same where I live. But I'm retired, & don't have to get up for work, so I don't complain. I'll be lighting this one for visiting relatives mid August :dance:

From June 24 - July 10 seems like a long time. I could see skipping out on the weekend of the 4th but the OP was talking about 2.5 weeks. A long time to wear earplugs too.

Back
Top Bottom