Jump the Shark

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I recently read an article that used the above term. I was totally in the dark as to what it meant. Evidently JTS is the tipping point at which absurdity trumps reality. I can not locate the exact article that used the phrase, but the attached gives the general info on the phrase that has been around, evidently, for a while. The article that I read mentioned that Sen. Clinton's "sniper fire" story about her trip to Bosnia, was her JTS moment.

I believe that this is my tipping point from reality to absurdity as I appear to have been out of the loop so far that I did not even know that there was a loop.

Anyone else out there with total ignorance of this term?

Jump the Shark swims into Net age vernacular

Last edited:
I've known about it for years, thanks to a website about TV shows where people say and vote when they think a TV show became really bad/unbelievable/silly.

It comes from the TV show Happy Days - In one episode the Fonz jumped a shark with his motorcycle - it is a sign of despriation.

Dex nailed it. The Fonz jumped the shark. The meaning of it is that the show had run its course--it was completely played out. Stick a fork in it, it was done.

It is widely held that when Fonzie ( Happy Days) jumped the shark, the show had gone from funny and entertaining to ridiculous , and simply had nowhere of value left to go. From that episode on, it was pretty much downhill....

It comes from the TV show Happy Days - In one episode the Fonz jumped a shark with his motorcycle - it is a sign of despriation.
I thought he was on a surfboard, but I could be misremembering.

Now, almost along the same vein, when a sitcom has an episode that involves the cast members participating in a talent show--that's another form of jumping the shark. Creativity has been completely used up. It often indicates the show is in its last season . So, don't be investing in it, go short if you can.

I think the Fonz was on a surfboard.

OK, I just read the post right above me. Let's make that water skiing. Yeah, that's how I remember it. Water skiing, clear as day.

Last edited:
Ralph Malph had a surfboard in that episode. Actually, it was an ironing board he was using to look cool like he was carrying a surfboard. For real (unless it was Potsie, not Ralph).

I could not make Happy Days entertaining, no matter how much weed I smoked...

Back
Top Bottom