Jury Duty dress code

The last time I was called, the instructions (which I'm copying directly from their web site, hence the 'all caps') were: "NO UNIFORMS, SHORTS, CUT-OFF JEANS, T-SHIRTS WITH LOGOS, TANK OR HALTER TOPS, GYM CLOTHES, PAJAMAS, OR HATS" I'm sorry, but the First Amendment is valid even in a courtroom, and if I feel like wearing a hat or a shirt with a "LOGO" it's my right to do so.

It is a long established legal principle that your First Amendment rights can be subject to content neutral time, manner and place restrictions. See Cox v. New Hampshire, 312 U.S. 569 (1941). By your logic, you should be able to wear nothing at all.

It is a long established legal principle that your First Amendment rights can be subject to content neutral time, manner and place restrictions. See Cox v. New Hampshire, 312 U.S. 569 (1941). By your logic, you should be able to wear nothing at all.

Prohibition of a "LOGO" isn't content-neutral, is it? The court is an agency of government, and our government is expressly forbidden under our Constitution form make a law (or "rule," as it were) "abridging the freedom of speech."

Prohibition of a "LOGO" isn't content-neutral, is it? The court is an agency of government, and our government is expressly forbidden under our Constitution form make a law (or "rule," as it were) "abridging the freedom of speech."

Prohibition of ANY logo, no matter what it is, would be content neutral. The First Amendment, like any part of the Constitution, is subject to interpretation by the US Supreme Court. So you don't have the right you think you have by reading the Constitution yourself. You have the right that the Supreme Court says you have as they construe the Constitution. Their opinion is what matters, not yours.

Just not a hill I would be willing to die on, but YMMV.

I do not recall but, since it's TX, boots were probably included. Just sayin...

When I was called on the mainland, I only wore dark colored tennis/running shoes (heh, heh, I don't play tennis nor do I run.) I wear only these shoes because I can fit my orthotics into the shoes. No other shoes accept the orthotics.

DH went in for (grand) jury duty today. (Neat slacks, shoes and pull over sweater.)

DH is a naturalized citizen, stepped up to the plate and volunteered to serve 9-5 for the next four weeks, however not all of the volunteers were chosen (a lottery method) and he was discharged.

I am proud of my DH.
He sounds like a role model to me.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom