Just crossed into Texas...what should we see?

Fermion

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have now driven our RV into Texas and plan to spend a month or so here. I really don't know what we should see?

I did find this map...

Attachments

• texas.jpg
    texas.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 74
We have now driven our RV into Texas and plan to spend a month or so here. I really don't know what we should see?
Remember the Alamo!

Edit to add - don't forget to get some food recommendations. If you like BBQ or Mexican you'll find some seriously good options.

Last edited:
If that map shows what's in Texas, perhaps you made a mistake crossing the border. Might be best to turn around before Something Bad Happens.

We are in Austin for a week, just staying at an extended stay hotel so we can bike or Uber (I like that now!) and see some Austin stuff. Other than that, no plans except eat a lot of Texas food.

Austin:
Barton Creek green belt/Town Lake/Zilker park
Capitol
Dinner at Oasis watching sun setting over Lake Travis
Hill country small towns

Houston:
Museums
Texas independence monument
Kemah board walk/Moody garden/Space center

SAN Antonio
River walk
Missions
Dinner Tower of America

Corpus Christi:
Aquarium/Lexington
Mustang island

South Padre Island

Big bend NP

Have fun.

Goliad, (for the history if you're in the area), Corpus, Langtry (only if you're in the area, and to say you've been where Judge Roy Bean was.....'cause there's nothing there and nothing anywhere near there)....it's been a while, but if you get the opportunity to visit El Paso...pass it up. ;)

Visit the King Ranch (you've probably seen Ford 'King Ranch' pickups) in Kingsville......they developed the Santa Gertrudis breed of cattle..... take a tour (if they're still running them, as I believe an international conglomerate took over). And..from there you're near Falfurrias, and that's were they likely catch/caught more illegals in tractor trailers than anywhere else.

Last edited:
Goliad, (for the history if you're in the area), Corpus, Langtry (only if you're in the area, and to say you've been where Judge Roy Bean was.....'cause there's nothing there and nothing anywhere near there)....it's been a while, but if you get the opportunity to visit El Paso...pass it up. ;)

Visit the King Ranch (you've probably seen Ford 'King Ranch' pickups) in Kingsville......they developed the Santa Gertrudis breed of cattle..... take a tour (if they're still running them, as I believe an international conglomerate took over). And..from there you're near Falfurrias, and that's were they likely catch/caught more illegals in tractor trailers than anywhere else.

Ah, Nemo, you're makin' me homesick.

If you like Big Bend NP, you might like the smaller Guadalupe Mountains NP and then you could easily drive into New Mexico and go to the Carlsbad Caverns.

We have always gone to Coopers BBQ when we were in Llano...

I read they have on in Austin... never knew that until a month ago... I do not know if it is as good as Llano, but try it out... go for a beef rib!!!

Cooper's BBQ: Austin, Texas | 512-474-4227

We have always gone to Coopers BBQ when we were in Llano...

I read they have on in Austin... never knew that until a month ago... I do not know if it is as good as Llano, but try it out... go for a beef rib!!!

Cooper's BBQ: Austin, Texas | 512-474-4227

The Llano Coopers also has locations in New Braunfels and Fort Worth. Note that the Coopers in Mason and Junction are not owned by the same outfit that owns Coopers in Llano. However most seem to think that Lockhard has the best Bar B Que in the state, at Smiths Blacks and Kreuz Market.

3 presidential libraries in the state if you like the history. Have only been to the LBJ and Bush 41. Both excellent.

The Palo Duro Canyons are second only to the Grand Canyon and are in NW TX.

Last edited:
The Llano Coopers also has locations in New Braunfels and Fort Worth. Note that the Coopers in Mason and Junction are not owned by the same outfit that owns Coopers in Llano. However most seem to think that Lockhard has the best Bar B Que in the state, at Smiths Blacks and Kreuz Market.

We always enjoyed the Coopers in Junction. Not cheap though.

We are in Austin for a week, just staying at an extended stay hotel so we can bike or Uber (I like that now!) and see some Austin stuff. Other than that, no plans except eat a lot of Texas food.

I live here in Austin. You'll have to find another ride-share than Uber or Lyft. The city and the two companies couldn't come to an agreement and both pulled out in 2016. But there are alternatives that filled the gap.

Since you're in Austin, take a day trip out to Fredericksburg and to nearby Enchanted Rock State Park. Camp there, if you like.

Franklin's is truly legendary in barbecue circles, and has what is generally regarded as the finest brisket in the world. Since brisket is a Texas specialty, that's saying something. But the drawback is that you have to stand on line for at least four hours to get some.

Also, the Bracken bat cave near SA is a pretty amazing sight when 15 million bats come out for their evening meal. You'd have to wait until summer for that.

Franklin's is truly legendary in barbecue circles, and has what is generally regarded as the finest brisket in the world. Since brisket is a Texas specialty, that's saying something. But the drawback is that you have to stand on line for at least four hours to get some.

Also, the Bracken bat cave near SA is a pretty amazing sight when 15 million bats come out for their evening meal. You'd have to wait until summer for that.

Re Franklin, it is very good. But you might find that you're spending much of your stay in Austin waiting in their line. :LOL: My daughter used to go to school nearby and I often saw the line starting to form at 7am. A few blocks east of Franklin's is Michlewaitwait Craft Meats - it's more of a food-trailer BBQ joint, but usually a shorter line and also very good. But here in TX, BBQ is sort of a religion - so YMMV.

+1 on Bracken Cave near San Antonio. There's also Natural Bridge Caverns next door which you can do any time of the year.

The Alamo is awesome and full of history.

Riverwalk is a fun diversion for a couple of hours.

Fredricksburg is good food, Admiral Nimitz museum. Best time is Octoberfest, though.

I definitely recommend the Coopers in Mason. Brisket is really good and smoked on an open pit. Make a sandwich with their Sauce, White bread and sliced onions.

Last edited:
The Alamo is awesome and full of history.

Riverwalk is a fun diversion for a couple of hours.

Fredricksburg is good food, Admiral Nimitz museum. Best time is Octoberfest, though.

I definitely recommend the Coopers in Mason. Brisket is really good and smoked on an open pit. Make a sandwich with their Sauce, White bread and sliced onions.

+1 for Cooper's. But in Llano.

However most seem to think that Lockhart has the best Bar B Que in the state, at Smiths Blacks and Kreuz Market.

I've been to both Blacks and Kreuz's in Lockhart for BBQ, and they are great. But City Market in Luling (not too far south of Lockhart) is my favorite. Absolutely delicious......

Thanks. I have not thought much about Texas as a vacation spot due to an unfortunate job that had me spend weeks at a time in Pasadena Texas, in a crummy hotel and with only a Waffle House nearby for meals. :-\

That and the fact that as a kid I thought the state name was "Taxes". Since me dad hated paying taxes I wondered why anybody would want to live in a state named after taxes. In my defense, I was very young at the time.

However, this thread has me thinking that I might want to spend a few weeks in the Texas. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom