Just crossed into Texas...what should we see?

I've been to both Blacks and Kreuz's in Lockhart for BBQ, and they are great. But City Market in Luling (not too far south of Lockhart) is my favorite. Absolutely delicious......

I've done mail order from Black's and Kreuz's and eaten at Smitty's in Lockhart, which I loved, but I still prefer City Market in Luling, too.
Their sausage links just taste better than anyone else's, to me.

Poor Fermion no one read your post, just the headline.

We spent about five days in Austin last year. As someone else mentioned, the LBJ library is really interesting. Also the flagship Whole Foods is downtown Austin.

If in Amarillo eat a great steak at the Big Texan, call them first and they'll pick you up in their limo with the horns.

The Palo Duro Canyons are second only to the Grand Canyon and are in NW TX.

+1 on Pablo Duro Canyon.

Then you can also see "Cadillac Ranch" & eat @ The Big Texan on the way out of the state. Be sure to say "Bye" to my relatives ("Angry People" on this map) as you pass through the Panhandle.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like that Franklins place, it is not too far from here but seriously, they are only open for lunch? 4 hour wait?

Bat caves sound cool, and I think we should see the Alamo.

Is there any gold mining done in Texas or does that mostly start in New Mexico? I have my sluice and pans, been carrying them across the country in hopes of doing some prospecting in the southwest.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like that Franklins place, it is not too far from here but seriously, they are only open for lunch? 4 hour wait?

Is there any gold mining done in Texas or does that mostly start in New Mexico? I have my sluice and pans, been carrying them across the country in hopes of doing some prospecting in the southwest.
Agates, topaz, Rocks and Gems - Prospecting Texas

Oil and gas, of course.

A friend of mine (pun) does gold mining and shows up with vials of gold flakes from his efforts. He probably pays more in gas than the value of the gold he scores to get to his "claim" which is on property that he is not supposed to be on, so he won't tell anyone where it is.

Franklin's is truly legendary in barbecue circles, and has what is generally regarded as the finest brisket in the world. Since brisket is a Texas specialty, that's saying something. But the drawback is that you have to stand on line for at least four hours to get some...

I found the following review on Yelp.

We arrived at 7:45 am that brisk Saturday morning equipped with sweaters, folding chairs, umbrella's, drinks and breakfast. So glad we brought our chairs because there were at least 50 people (maybe more) ahead of us in line. Apparently the first person to get into line came around 5am, which is crazy since they open at 11am...

Many people in line came from all over Texas and all over the nation to try Austin's famous Franklin BBQ. I felt sorry for some of the patrons who didn't bring any chairs. After waiting for many hours, they gave up and just sat on the ground. I also felt sorry for those who didn't check the weather forecast because it was drizzling on and off all morning, which eventually turned into heavy rain. Many people in line actually resorted to ordering folding chairs off Amazon Prime Now and had chairs delivered to them right in line...

I recently organized a family outing to the #1 BBQ place in Phoenix, and we had to wait an hour on a Saturday morning, and that's as far as I go. I don't know about waiting 6 hours in the rain.

Last edited:
Flat, empty land with many scorpions, fire ants, rattle snakes, funny looking cows, and leprosy infected Armadillos.

Once in a great while there's lots of people, meat they call bbq, meat they call chille.....

Last edited:
Palo Duro Canyon in the panhandle, Big Bend near El Paso, Gruen Hall near San Antonio, book depository in Dallas.

Galveston is disappointing and slightly yucky. South Padre Island's supposed to be nice but I've never been.

Beef BBQ is good here. Worthwhile to eat done here and then drive to Memphis for a comparison.

Surprise no one has suggested chicken fried steak. That and mesquite smoked brisket are the 2 things I always eat when traveling through Texas. The best places are the small town grocery/bbq places.
And get off the interstates. Secondary roads in Texas are better than most interstates.

Welcome to Austin. Enjoy the traffic! :(

Texas is a big a$$ place...

When you come into Texas on I-10 east of Houston, the mile market is something like Mile 895.

Worked in Midland one week, and it was 300 miles from El Paso and 300 miles from Dallas--truly mid way between the cities. I was surprised to see nothing but tumbleweeds and no trees.

Texas is big enough to be 4 states but they have one state capitol with a legislature that only meets every other year. And everything still works.

Yep, it's a big state with big people thinking big things.

We took a bus to the riverfront in downtown Austin today and walked the path and around the enormous park (where they do something called the ACL). Really a gorgeous area with a lot of joggers on this 75 degree winter day. There were people kayaking and paddle boarding in the Colorado river (which is not THE Colorado river).

At lunch at a tex mex chain called Chuy's which was right near the river park.

Not a bad day.

When you come into Texas on I-10 east of Houston, the mile market is something like Mile 895.

Worked in Midland one week, and it was 300 miles from El Paso and 300 miles from Dallas--truly mid way between the cities. I was surprised to see nothing but tumbleweeds and no trees.

Texas is big enough to be 4 states but they have one state capitol with a legislature that only meets every other year. And everything still works.

Yep, it's a big state with big people thinking big things.

Where I grew up, in the Panhandle, folks used to say, "We're closer to the capitol of Kansas than we are to Austin...and, we get about as much attention."

We took a bus to the riverfront in downtown Austin today and walked the path and around the enormous park (where they do something called the ACL). Really a gorgeous area with a lot of joggers on this 75 degree winter day. There were people kayaking and paddle boarding in the Colorado river (which is not THE Colorado river).

At lunch at a tex mex chain called Chuy's which was right near the river park.

Not a bad day.

really? Chuy's? Taco bell's big brother? I would rather you said sushi..

Chuy's is the local chain of Aus-Mex (Austin Tex Mex). I ate there in college. It's an institution!

Last edited:
I dunno it was pretty good! The chips were so thin and crisp. They brought out salsa, cheese dip and this really good ranch/jalapeno sauce. Definitely not Taco Bell.

I dunno it was pretty good! The chips were so thin and crisp. They brought out salsa, cheese dip and this really good ranch/jalapeno sauce. Definitely not Taco Bell.

Chuy's is great and that's a cool location where you were at. Highly recommend Magnolia Cafe right there near the Chuy's. Go for breakfast. It's wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom