Just curious--who here pays attention to gas prices?

I hadn't even thought of that! Thanks for the idea!

Is there a website you watch, or you just keep an eye out at the local gas stations whenever you drive by?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
My fills are so far apart I can time it against wholesale gas prices...if I see that they're on the way up, I get out and top off that day. If they're on the way down, I wait a while.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Arco's tick me off because I cant use my 5% off gas mastercard, and they charge a 50c atm surcharge fee for using a debit card, which makes their gas more expensive than other stations once you factor that in. At least here in CA they do...
Yeah . . . same thing in AZ. I avoid them and use my 5% off credit card to same money. :)

I watch both the price of a gallon of gas and the price of a barrel of oil. It really irked me when the price of a barrel went down the end of December and stayed low until very recently. The price of gas went down a couple of weeks ago. On the good side it took the gas stations longer to raise the price of gas than normal.

We spend about $300 a month on gas, it's definitely on our radar, but the fluctuation between $2.00 and $3.00 just doesn't change the number enough to make tracking 10 cent changes worth it. From month to month the change might be $30 bucks due to gas prices.

Did you also know that if you live in a very hot climate, that you should buy gas in the morning rather than late in the day or evening? Gas expands when it heats, so you might get more by buying it in the morning when its coolest...IIRC 90 degree gas is 2% higher in volume than 60 degree gas.

youbet said:
I make some effort to purchase at the cheapest gas station since I believe in rewarding merchants with the most attractive prices. If everyone would do so, creating a more elastic demand curve for an individual station, dealers might be more inclined to inch prices down to drive up volume.

I agree. BTW, for the ones that fill up every couple of months or so.........what do you do for fun? I can't imagine staying home all the time. Maybe you are riding a bicycle or something. Just curious. :-\

REWahoo! said:
Now that you mention it...

I did a little more reading too. Seems that with the new double-storage tanks and 12 foot depth of the tank, fuel delivered via a truck thats been out in the sun for a while might be in excess of the 90 degree level I mentioned above, and due to the great insulating characteristics of the tank, might remain at that temp for some time.

So dont buy gas from someone who has had a late day delivery when its over 100 out...

I still look for the most inexpensive fuel but I really have to wonder why. I've made so much profit from my energy investments that I could buy $4 gas for the next 20 years and it would not be a problem.

I know the investments can go down but hey, I'll be able to get cheap gas again. :D

I drive more than I like. Nearly 82 k on my '04 Prius (partly b/c, aside from my solo driving, DW and I nearly always take it on trips or to see family cross state instead of her 21mpg Lexus. I would like to see gas go to 5 dollars a gallon so that everyone would get serious about a new energy economy. But I fear what that would mean in terms of short term solutions like strip mining more coal. The Vanguard energy fund seems to be up when gas prices are and it is my cynical out.

I would like to see gas go to 5 dollars a gallon
congress could quickly accomodate you ... but i doubt the effect would be as envisioned.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
The inflation slam WOULD be a bit displeasing...wouldn't it... ;)
Not as soon as the efficiencies that we are technologically capable of kicked in. The kick up I proposed is probably less than the inflationary force of rising med costs and the imminent landslide of med/insurance costs associated with boomers sufffering from metabolic issues (type II diabetes, obesity, treatable coranary issues, the need for new knees and hips) and the load that will put on "the system." The docs and hospitals have such a strangle hold through lobbying that they will continue to perch at the top of the income heap and the price of poker for us ER folks (aka boomers) will keep going up.

I'm thinking more in line with the fact that everything and everybody moves by train, truck or plane. You pop up fuel to $5 a gallon, your produce, meat and almost everything else you buy goes up progressively to match.

I still have a good recollection of what happened when it went up a buck to $3 last year.

the efficiencies that we are technologically capable of kicked in
... if these "efficiencies" are not viable without a doubling of gas prices, they are likely "inefficiencies".

DOG52 said:
I agree. BTW, for the ones that fill up every couple of months or so.........what do you do for fun? I can't imagine staying home all the time. Maybe you are riding a bicycle or something. Just curious. :-\
I spend weekends with Frank (my date). He likes to do the driving, so even though I don't stay home, I don't drive. We go all sorts of places, have a lot of fun and we definitely do not "stay home all the time". I'm not ER'd yet, so my weekdays are typical workdays and also I prepare for the weekends. I am flown across country for work perhaps a dozen times a year for 3-4 weekdays at a time, so when I am in town I enjoy being at my home.

It's mostly an obsession around here. There is a station near me known for having the best price around. People go out of thier way and wait in long lines for 30 minutes or so to save 2 or 3 cents per gallon. The station 3 blocks away is often only 1 cent more. I think they waste more in time and fuel while idling than they save at 50-75 cents for a fillup.........or maybe 90 cents for an suv. I use a 5% rebate card and get back an avg of $12/ month

d said:
... if these "efficiencies" are not viable without a doubling of gas prices, they are likely "inefficiencies".
d, it is not a matter of viability; it is a matter of polictical will and the breaking of a monopoly. The inefficiency we have stangling us and holding us back right now is the stranglehold of the energy and automotive company billions controlling our governement and holding back the inherent power of true capitalism. Shift the petroleum subsidies to the genius, drive and ingenuity of American entrepeneurs and we will be on our way.

Lousy rotten blood sucking SOB's.

Bought gas yesterday for my truck, $2.24/gal. Passed the same station on the way home this evening, still $2.24. Went back two hours later to get gas for the snowblower, it was $2.39. Seems to have been a little price increase just before a big snow storm.

An anecdote:
Back in the '60s one day when it was -20F, my father filled up the tank and drove home a few miles and put his truck into the garage/basement where it was about 60F;
tank overflowed and there was strong smell of gas for a while.

DOG52 said:
Well, maybe one day I'll be able to say "I plug my Prius into the grid after powering it from our 10 kilowatt array, and I'm worried that the gas went bad in the tank over the last six months".

I drive to the beach a couple times a week (14 miles each way) and surf my butt off. We walk for an hour most evenings. Yardwork. Home improvement. The circle-island tour to Lowe's, a friend's house, an ATM, a gas station, and Thai Kitchen for lunch. Then there's post-lunch activities, afternoon naps, TV, reading, the Internet, and various spreadsheet/document projects.

I guess we'd have to refer back to the "hermit" thread.

I used to ride 2000-3000 miles/year in my working days, but now between surfing & tae kwon do there's nothing left over.

I've averaged around 913 mi/mo the last seven years, so, while I definitely pay attention to gas prices, they aren't a budget killer........yet.

Last night the two stations adjacent to the highway exit/enter ramps were both at $2.15. This morning the one station that was open at the ungodly hour I leave for work was up to $2.19 and I suspect the other will be close to that when I come home.

Back
Top Bottom