Just received 2022 tax refund!

I don't have anything withheld, just complicates my stuff. I'll do the estimates and send it all in quarter by quarter.

Submitted efile on 3/7 using HRB software and it's still pending acceptance by IRS as of this morning, 3/15. It's never taken this long before.

I applied my little refund to next year's taxes, so I'm not waiting on money. But I am holding off filing my state return until the feds accept my 1040 since my state uses federal AGI as a starting point.

I don't have anything withheld, just complicates my stuff. I'll do the estimates and send it all in quarter by quarter.

Not dealing with taxes several times a year (IOW only once in April) is worth losing some interest on my withholding - though I'm rethinking that now that interest rates are rising. I admire folks who can stay on top of such things to their own advantage. Guess I'm too lazy - er, unmotivated.

I filed my Federal on 3/6 via H&R Block. It stayed pending until 3/10, when it was rejected by the IRS. The reason for rejection, according to H&R Block:

However, the next planned update is actually scheduled (according to the software) for 3/17. I will just wait until then and try again. I owe money on the Federal return, so I can be patient about this :).

Well, the update finally showed up today. After installing it I resubmitted my Federal return. This time it was accepted within 10 minutes.

I filed my state taxes via the state's free efile system on 3/10, and received the refund today. Now I can set aside some of the refund to cover my federal tax payment :).

Well, the update finally showed up today. After installing it I resubmitted my Federal return. This time it was accepted within 10 minutes.

I had that exact experience with HRB this year, as well, except I never received the rejection email until today, which is ten days after originally submitting my return. Ah, well, it's all done and wrapped up now.

I never have all my info until about mid-late Feb.

You can get it earlier if you chase some of it a bit - a few phone calls. I had my tax meeting at the Federal Tax Prep on Feb. 8 (had it done for free - I hate doing taxes!); I had all my info by then.

We filed our tax returns on 3/6/23 and we got an email immediately that it was accepted. However, checking "where's my refund'', it is still pending approval. It is getting me a little worried. It is a huge refund amount and we may be flagged to mail in all of our hardcopies, which is a pain in the butt.

We filed our tax returns on 3/6/23 and we got an email immediately that it was accepted. However, checking "where's my refund'', it is still pending approval. It is getting me a little worried. It is a huge refund amount and we may be flagged to mail in all of our hardcopies, which is a pain in the butt.

I think you are still good. It was 21 days for me with a fairly complicated return. Twelve days for MIL with a simple return. Filed 3/1

Refund? What is that?

Refund? What is that?

Most years.... same here. But I did a poor job of estimating last year and do have refunds this time. E-filed on the 19th and received my State refund yesterday. Federal should arrive on April 7th according to TT estimator.

My 1st time doing our tax in years, Our CU stopped providing the service last year.
Filed 3/16, confirmed accepted on 3/17, IRS deposited it on 3/30.
State saying up to 10 weeks for a refund.

Last edited:
Filed on 3/6 and refund has still not been approved. The website says that they apologize for the delay. Sigh.

Is it the same as IRS Refund website? I don't have anything that requires a login. What is the URL? Thanks!

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

It is not the same as the refund status site. This is an actual account that you log in to see your tax records. I have found it useful over the last few years to track down things for my own and my mothers taxes. It does now require you to go thru the process of setting up an ID.me account for authentication. That can be tedious and/or confusing for some people, so you may want to research what that involves and prepare your documents for it. I had no problems setting up my ID.me account. I use it for my Social Security account too.

If you decide to set up the IRS account, come back and ask questions if you can’t figure some of the things out. It is a powerful tool but, as most government websites, it’s not always easy to use.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

It is not the same as the refund status site. This is an actual account that you log in to see your tax records. I have found it useful over the last few years to track down things for my own and my mothers taxes. It does now require you to go thru the process of setting up an ID.me account for authentication. That can be tedious and/or confusing for some people, so you may want to research what that involves and prepare your documents for it. I had no problems setting up my ID.me account. I use it for my Social Security account too.

If you decide to set up the IRS account, come back and ask questions if you can’t figure some of the things out. It is a powerful tool but, as most government websites, it’s not always easy to use.

Thank you!

I saw this thread and decided it was time to do my taxes. I opened TT on my laptop today. I'll leave it on tonight. Maybe the brownies will do my taxes for me.

Today I received a letter from IRS (remember, from above that I filed on 3/6/23 and have yet to receive a refund?) with a letter, form 5071C, to verify return before IRS can continue to process the already "accepted" return. The letter said it is to prevent fraud and needed to verify that it is me. Our fault for letting IRS owe us quite a large amount. Anyway, I went through the ID.me process to create an account and uploaded my personal information (photo id and selfie). From this point, it says it will take another 9 weeks for IRS to process our return.

Still waiting for mine. Filed a few weeks ago. State refund already delivered. Fed still says pending.

Normally don't have a refund, but I converted less than anticipated.

Is anybody else taking the California "disaster dividend"? Almost all California residents have been given until October 16th to file because of the extra rain we got. It didn't really effect me personally at all, but since I owe a few $K I figure why not wait the extra 6 months to pay.

we have simple taxes. I plug it in to the fillable forms and send the IRS a check, every year. I have been tuning the withholding and it is not so painful as it used to be :)

Well, I just checked "Where's My Refund". Good news is, its scheduled for Friday. Bad news is, it for over $1,000 less than I filed for.

I used TurboTax, so a math error is unlikely. Does anyone know if the IRS will follow up with an explanation?

FWIW, I have already received my state refund, and it was exactly as submitted on my taxes.

Still waiting for late DM's 2021 refund. Return showed a refund of $450, return with death certificate, short form sent in April 2022, along with mine. In June, got a letter saying there was an addition mistake, send $15. Got a letter early December saying I overpaid, get a refund of $450 +$15 plus interest since April, but send in a death certificate and short certificate. I had to ask for another short certificate in December. After waiting for county holiday or whatever delay, it was sent in early February. Still no $$$.

eFiled Federal on March 24 and see today that my refund is due to be deposited in my bank account on Friday, April 7. So 2 weeks total processing time. Not bad.

State return was filed by mail and also shows as having been approved and I should get my refund check in 3-4 weeks.

This year's Federal return was concerning to me because I had to report the final K-1 of a long-term, limited partnership investment that has been a dark cloud hovering over me for 19 years. That partnership was finally dissolved in 2022, much to my delight. Honestly, I have no idea if the tax return was done properly. I just answered the TurboTax questions as honestly and accurately as I could and closed my eyes and crossed my fingers and clicked "Submit".

It will be extremely nice to no longer have to deal with that K-1 going forward.

Well, I just checked "Where's My Refund". Good news is, its scheduled for Friday. Bad news is, it for over $1,000 less than I filed for.

I used TurboTax, so a math error is unlikely. Does anyone know if the IRS will follow up with an explanation?

FWIW, I have already received my state refund, and it was exactly as submitted on my taxes.

Yes, if the IRS modified your return and recalculated the tax or refund, you will get a letter explaining what they changed. If you register at irs.gov for an online account you can also see it there.

Things to check on your return:
- typos in the income and withholding amounts for anything you typed in yourself, such as an SSA-1099 or 1099-R that didn't download from a financial institution.
- estimated payments if you made any. Verify that you really sent them and the online transactions were really processed or checks were cashed and the amounts entered in TTax were correct.

Otherwise, the most likely cause is that you missed entering some income that the IRS thinks should be taxable. Maybe a 1099 got lost in the mail or you forgot to download one or you did an IRA or 401k rollover by check?

edit: A less likely cause is that you owe money to the IRS or some other part of the government and part of your refund was confiscated to pay that off.

Back
Top Bottom