Just started retirement and don’t know what to do!

Mkf2591

Confused about dryer sheets
Retired from my main job in 09. Get a pension from there. Worked several part-full time jobs until March of this year. Took early SS at 63 yoa this past June. :):)Also get a pension from another source. Have pretty good investment accounts with a SCHWAB 1000 INDEX and a SCHWAB 1000 index ETF. Also have a fair amount in a fixed account. Fixed account is there so my wife can sleep at night. I really don’t know what to do with myself since I left the workforce. I do like to hunt, fish, and spend time with my 2 adult boys. Youngest and his wife have a baby on the way, so I KNOW we will be doing a lot of grandparent type stuff. Glad to join and learn. I’ll share whatever experience I have with anyone that asks. Not worth much, but it’s free!

Just sit and do nothing until you get bored and then do whatever comes to mind.

Where would you like to visit, or what would you like to see now that you have the time?

You maybe should go back to work. If no hobbies, interests or passions in life it could be terrible not having something.
I have told myself that I'm bored it is my problem, because there are many things I should do or can do.
You can create things to do if you want too. You are a hunter and fish. Build a rod or build a gun.

You maybe should go back to work. If no hobbies, interests or passions in life it could be terrible not having something.
I have told myself that I'm bored it is my problem, because there are many things I should do or can do.
You can create things to do if you want too. You are a hunter and fish. Build a rod or build a gun.

+1, in that this is a great start. Flip side is there is nothing wrong with taking some time to "chill." I am of the mindset, though, that one needs to find things to do on a somewhat regular basis and to get out of the house a couple of times a day, at the least.
Use your "chill time" to start researching things you might enjoy doing. Remember, none of the activities have to be all-consuming. Absolutely nothing wrong with having down time every day. And, activities do not have to be physical. Among my activities, for example, are playing Bridge and attending various lectures.
If you don't know what to do with your time, ideas won't magically come to you. Besides whatever responses you get, here, check out the numerous non-financial retirement books. Lastly, keep an open mind. Something that at first blush you don't think would be fun might be worthwhile once you give it a shot.

So you’re saying you have all your house projects done? Most the guys I know spend the first year or so of retirement working on their list. Of course, that’s not a log term solution because ultimately it will get done, but it’s a place to start. Also, learn to relax at least a little. I understand there are personalities that have to always be doing something (type A), but there’s a lot to be said for learning how to relax, take some time to smell the roses. Since you like to hunt, go for walks. Speaking of walks, are you in good shape? Never hurts to commit to an exercise routine and learning to cook can be enjoyable and good for your health.

Basically, take a breath and let life come to to you. There’s plenty to do. It will show itself if you let it.

Welcome to the forum.
Perhaps chill out a bit. Then you mentioned a few hobbies that you like to do, so perhaps get involved with some of them.
Personally, I wouldn't go back to any work right now.
Are you in good physical shape, in that this is sometimes a major area in which new retirees suddenly have the time and inclination to make better.

We love to eat good food! Think of your favorite dishes from restaurants and try to perfect them for yourself. Recently did buffalo cauliflower after a trip to Colorado. Who knew the textures and flavors worked so well?

I also have perfected fried cauliflower rice and most things grilled, veggies and meats. Explore higher end cuts of meat too. You won't be disappointed...

You need a hobby or several. I had no hobby and no life outside of work before I retired. Work was my identity. My husband "made" me pick up golf after we retired. Now I golf 5 days a week. I have also expanded my culinary skills into smoking meats. We have always travelled extensively when we were working and we continue to do so. We spend about 3 months a year travelling, golfing, some sightseeing and dining out alot.

Last edited:
Welcome!
The Grandparent thing is wonderful! So easy to find reasons to spend--lol.
Give yourself time to adjust.
Every morning you wake up and get to do EXACTLY what you want to do or do nothing at all--it's all good.

Congratulations on Retirement! Write a list of 20 things that you always wanted to do but didn't have the time for....then go about doing them :) Within a couple of months you will have branched out so much that you will wonder how you ever found the time to work ;)

Find some organization or cause you are passionate about and volunteer for a few hours a week. You will meet many people who feel the same way you do and feel good about your self.

When I first retired, I felt like a fish floundering out of water! I did not know what to do with so much time available.

So, after a day or so of that, I decided that what I needed was a reason to get out of the house. So, I started to go to the gym every morning and try to get fit. Then after two hours at the gym, and then shower, I went to walk around inside stores for an hour or so. This was not so much to buy stuff as to get some light exercise in a way that I thought was fun.

This got me out of the house for I guess about 3 hours or so, and then I'd go home and do whatever I wanted. Everything fell into place soon after that.

I have been retired for 12 years by now and I don't do either of these things any more to get myself out of the house; I do other things. Right now, just about every day I go out to eat with Frank (who retired 3 months after I did). Then we go on a pleasure drive and/or watch the birds at a nearby boat launch. Retirement has been wonderful for me.

I think tiei g flies would be a cool creative outlet!

I retired almost 2 years ago. I had a wonderful summer gardening, and was looking forward to a great winter skiing, when the pandemic shut down ski season. This was awful. I didn't have enough to do. To make it worse, I left a failing relationship and moved hours away to live near my daughter and family, who needed some help during the pandemic. In November. To a small city where everything was closed and I knew nobody but my daughter, her husband, and toddler granddaughter.

This spring brought improvement. I got a part-time job at a garden center, since I had no garden any more. Now I have a part-time job at a ski shop. I joined the ski club. I'm taking an online course. I'm in the process of joining a gym, and well before this started working harder on fitness. I'm trying to find volunteer work that will work out for my schedule and interests.

This is an incredibly difficult transition. I miss the social status I had in my job - I had a lot of respect and knew many people in my professional role. Learning to spend my savings (while I put off taking SS for two more years) has been difficult. Many others find it difficult as well.

For me, little p/t jobs (~12 hours/week) have been a godsend. I'm less likely to flake out than I might in volunteer work. I get up early, prepare, and enjoy the heck out of having coworkers and new friends. I like working hard. It has given me some structure that helps me manage my week better. And of course, getting out and meeting a friend for lunch on a restaurant patio is sure better than staying in an apartment.

I know the pandemic exacerbated my difficulty adjusting. But it would have been somewhat difficult anyway. Despite cutting down to 3 days/week for a couple years before retiring, I wasn't quite ready for completely unstructured time.

Best of luck! Don't fret if it takes awhile. Don't bury yourself in TV or internet. Get outdoors as much as possible. Find something meaningful to do with at least some of your time. It gets better!

Back
Top Bottom