Keep getting Social Security Disability letters after recent ER

supernova72

Recycles dryer sheets
Maybe this is common but my back story is my Megacorp retired me about a year ago (July 2016). I was eligible to retire but they surplussed my position in a "RIF" exercise (reduction in force). So in our department 216 folks went out the door on July 22nd 2016.

I'm getting these letters from a 3rd party company that my former megacorp contracted with to apply for SSDI saying I might be eligible for disability through SS.

It feels kind of slimily given I'm getting my pension as of Nov 2016. I also have retiree medical. Anyone else on our ER forum getting the same?

My health if fine. I'm 56 now.

The company sending the letters is SSDC and is not a government agency. They say they are a leading provider of SS Advocacy Services. :blink:

I've heard of individuals using a "service" to receive SSDI, but never a company doing the same thing "on behalf" of (forced) retirees. I'm wondering what the motive might be. "Slimy" does seem a good word, but I don't understand why they would do this. I'm glad you are questioning this move. YMMV

I've heard of individuals using a "service" to receive SSDI, but never a company doing the same thing "on behalf" of (forced) retirees. I'm wondering what the motive might be. "Slimy" does seem a good word, but I don't understand why they would do this. I'm glad you are questioning this move. YMMV

I checked with a friend of mine who retired from the same company. He's getting the same letters and his theory is if are get SS disability the Megacorp won't have to pay retiree medical. That would be a huge savings for the company. Our retireee medical is about $20 a month (no kidding). We feel very fortunate to get it.

The way the letters are written is pretty weird. Statements like "this is your 2nd notice" like we have to submit something. Does not feel right....

Sounds scammy to me. Like those services that promise to get the IRS off your back even though you owe a boatload of back taxes.

In order to receive SSDI you have to be disabled. Your health is fine according to your post. You wouldn't qualify and this place indeed sounds slimy. I'd stay clear.

I've heard of individuals using a "service" to receive SSDI, but never a company doing the same thing "on behalf" of (forced) retirees. YMMV

I used a legal firm to help my brother get SSDI. He is fully disabled. I mentioned on another thread yesterday that when I called my local SS they told me it could take 3 or 4 years to get approved.
The lawyer got it done in 2 months. He said that SS says that all the time to discourage people because they don't want to be bothered. The lawyer did get a fee from my brother's LT insurance which was the difference between what they already paid my brother and a retroactive SSDI payment. LT insurance paid it and it cost my brother nothing.

In order to receive SSDI you have to be disabled. Your health is fine according to your post. You wouldn't qualify and this place indeed sounds slimy. I'd stay clear.

+1 Yes, I had to submit dozens of pages of doctor evaluations and records.

Buy yourself a good paper shredder and recycle/compost the confetti.

Yes, so far my health is good but the more I poke around this form letter is going out to all retires between 55-62 yrs old. There might be a loophole but I'm not going to pursue it. Our company is very large (100B in revenue, 150,000 employees) and I was a bit surprised to get this letter and they contracted with this 3rd party advocate.

Back
Top Bottom