Kenny Rogers - age 81

Years ago, my mother as a hobby worked with NARAS as they were showcasing future country stars in concerts. She sold the tickets at the door at a Nashville club.

She came in one night and said she met the nicest young man that sat and talked to her all night. She said he was named Kenny Rogers. At the time, she had no idea who she was talking to.

I really liked his music. Unfortunately, with the cosmetic surgery that he had later in life he didn't look anything like his younger self.

What amazes me about Kenny Rodgers is, he was known for his country music. But this was his early hit, a psychedelic 'trip' song:

(two versions, one the studio recording, one live - I like the lives better, but the studio recording has the "far-out" backward guitar into).

... I woke up this morning with the sundown shining in
I found my mind in a brown paper bag within
I tripped on a cloud and fell-a eight miles high
I tore my mind on a jagged sky
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in
Yeah, yeah, oh-yeah, what condition my condition was in ...

-ERD50

I remember wearing a Kenny Rogers t-shirt to high school in the 80's. Sure I got picked on but I didn't care. I wore it proudly! I liked Kenny's music.

“You got to know when to hold ‘em. Know when to fold ‘em. Know when to walk away. Know when to run. You never count yo’ money, when it’s sittin’ on the table. There’ll be time enough for countin’ when the dealin’s done.”

Seems apt for times! RIP.

Isn't he the guy on those GEICO commercials?

More seriously, RIP Kenny Rogers. At one time he and Dolly together were the face of country music.

I used to work with a guy that was a dead ringer for Kenny Rogers. Of course, every Halloween he went as Kenny Rogers. Tiring of this, one year he wore a banana suit. Upon arriving at a party, someone yelled out, "look - Kenny Rogers in a banana suit!"

Apparently KR's music c*reer was quite eclectic. He would have been a contemporary of Buddy Holly (both Texans, by the way.) As such, he began with Rock n Roll. He eventually joined New Christy Minstrels then helped form First Edition (then KR and FE). FE was not all psychedelic (Don't forget "Ruby...") THEN he hit it big with C & W. I liked all his music but was never a big fan of his acting c*reer. I'm guessing it was more the material than the acting so YMMV.

DW and I saw him a few times. He would do a Christmas show at the historic theater here. He would do a set of his hits and then a set of Christmas songs. We enjoyed those shows very much.

I used to run into him every once in awhile in Athens Ga where I live. He was married to a local girl and they lived here for quite a few years. His property had a nine hole golf course bass lake and huge horse barns. He worked hard to fit into the community and was always very gracious.

Back
Top Bottom