Kick in the teeth

That is awful news to receive. Feeling as though it’s a kick in the teeth is natural and normal. Positivity from the doctor and you is a good and powerful weapon to defend against and defeat this challenge.

After the initial shock, start at the best place you can: where you are. One step at a time. Good luck and best wishes. People are listening, reading and are on your side.

I am so sorry to hear of this news. I have few words, but my thoughts are with you and your DW. One day at a time...that's all you can do at this point.

So sorry to hear this. My thoughts are with you and your wife as you go through this tough time together.

Cancer treatments have come a long ways. Hoping for a positive outcome.

omni

I'm so sorry you're both going through this. I remember the day DH was diagnosed with cancer. It was 2008 and he's still here. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.

Very sorry to hear about your spouse. There are some really encouraging treatments for NSCLC in the immunotherapy area. Also giving you our thoughts and best wishes.

So very sorry to hear your news. Take a notebook with you to your appointments. You will not remember a lot of what you discuss. Tell DW not to worry how others feel. Now is the time to worry about her physical and mental health. Sending prayers to you both. try not to be offended by some of the really dumb things people say when they don't know what to say.

Very sorry to hear that - but take heart that there are new treatments available now (non-chemo) and more in the pipeline which treat lung cancer. A very different landscape compared to even 10 years ago.

Very sorry to hear. I wish you the best on her treatment and recovery.

Words fail of course but I wish the best for a good outcome on this.

Hoping for the best for both of you. It's good that the doctor is encouraging. Go forward together. There is no right solution or right way to be, but you will find your own path. Good thoughts!

1) Best wishes to your wife and hope she gets the right treatment and recovery.
2) Cancer diagnosis, including lung cancer, is not an automatic death sentence. Many effective treatments are available. Most importantly:
3) Please give very serious thought to visiting MD Anderson in Houston. They are one of a few premier cancer centers. I checked Google Maps - it's a 7 hour drive from Yukon. It is well worth the trip and you both will feel emotionally better once you see these experts.

You and your wife are in my thoughts.

Cozican

Best of luck. My only advice is to savor every moment. Every. Single. One.

You will honor your wife by helping her through this. Agreed above to take notes (or even better have a friend take notes) You really won't remember a lot of details. Ask lots of questions. Even the hard ones The oncologists have heard them all. Our oncologist did not like to tell the "bad" news. So we had to pry it out of him. You be in charge of the treatment plan. Ask about different options including immune therapy.

Also as above the time from Dx to a treatment plan was horrible. Once we got going it was "better"

We had so many wonderful docs, nurses & CNAs. They are truly a special bunch to work in oncology

and the first Dx is not a kick in the teeth. It's further down in your man bits. Praying for you hard

Coz,

That is is very tough news and I cannot imagine what you are both going through.

I am glad doctors are optimistic. Adopt that same optimism and hopefully she will soon reflect it also. Easy to say, I know, but really important.

In the meantime we are here and I will be praying for you both!

Monte

You and your wife are in my thoughts and prayers. Definitely causes one to pause and think about planning and enjoying the journey and not just RE.

I recently read a book by Valter Longo - a professor of biochemistry who studies longevity.
This article talks about how people experience fewer side effects from chemo. Could be of interest.

https://osher.ucsf.edu/patient-care...on/faq/cancer-and-fasting-calorie-restriction

Sorry to hear what you are facing. Do take comfort and hope in the doctor's optimism. Therapy for lung cancer has come a long way. You have my earnest wishes that your wife has a good response to therapy and the two of you have many happy years together.

Cozican...that is jolting news for sure and I am so very sorry for both of you. I will hope and pray that once treatments start, you will be able to update us with "positive" progress.

Take a notebook with you to your appointments. You will not remember a lot of what you discuss.

+1

Also, consider using a smart phone app to record conversations with the doctors and staff (with their permission, of course)....and even to record your thoughts.

Unless you're a stenographer, info might get missed when trying to scribble down notes, especially when in an emotional state. Highlights can later be transcribed into written notes or compared with any notes you may have made.

omni

So sorry to hear the news. I have 2 good friends that were diagnosed with stage 4 incurable cancer and one lived 20 years and one is alive 25 years later. They were each given 6 months. Cancer treatment has greatly improved. Sending lots of love and light.

I am so sorry to hear this. I can't even begin to feel what you must be going through. I wish you and your DW the best possible outcome. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers.

It's okay to reach out to strangers in a time like this. We are all praying for you.

Coz, late to the thread but I am sorry to hear of your wife's cancer... definitely a gut punch. The best you can do is keep putting one foot in front of the other and soldier on... as hard as that may be. God bless and good luck.

My oldest brother was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2006. Seeing this thread made me wonder what progress had been made in treating the disease in the years since. I found this chart of approved lung cancer drugs by decade. The rapid growth of new treatments in the past few years is encouraging. Take note, Coz.

Lung Cancer Treatment Advances

Attachments

• Lung Cancer Treatment.JPG
    Lung Cancer Treatment.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 61
Back
Top Bottom