LBYM: weeHouses vs. McMansions

Oh, and as for those little 800-square foot things being $160,000, that is just ridiculous! What the hell are they made out of?! Just as a reference point, my garage is 960 square feet (24x40 feet), and ended up costing about $28,000 total. A great deal of that cost was in the foundation, which had to be re-engineered and built up because of a high water table. And obviously, being a garage instead of a house it's unfinished inside, and there are no utilities, although that cost did include running underground wire 175 feet from the house to the garage, so I can hook it up later.

But still, what would it probably cost if I wanted to finish it off and turn it into living space? Maybe double the original cost or a bit more? So then, for $60K I'd have a 960 square foot house, versus $160K for an 800 square foot one. I guess part of the expense of that wee house thing might be all that glass area. I know glass and big picture windows aren't cheap. And if they use miniature, space-saving appliances, that's going to get expensive. And I'd imagine that they use expensive, high-quality wood in the construction.

I don't live all that far from the Wee house on Pequaywan lake. The house in the picture is not the house on Pequaywan. It is very, very high end so that is why the per square foot cost is so high.

You can get a cheaper Wee house that isn't so fancy.

I just read an article in the WSJ about the declining popularity of McMansions, which the WSJ defines as a house more than 5000 square feet on a relatively small lot in a development of similar sized homes. Apparently the demand for these types of homes has dropped dramatically, with some areas of the country seeing big price declines. On the other hand, more modest homes, in the 2000 square foot range, in the same areas are holding their price or even seeing increases and selling quickly.

Martha said:
I just read an article in the WSJ about the declining popularity of McMansions, which the WSJ defines as a house more than 5000 square feet on a relatively small lot in a development of similar sized homes. Apparently the demand for these types of homes has dropped dramatically, with some areas of the country seeing big price declines. On the other hand, more modest homes, in the 2000 square foot range, in the same areas are holding their price or even seeing increases and selling quickly.

Wonder what role the spike in heating and cooling costs for one of those barns is playing in the dropoff? I would think it's a siginifcant factor.

Yes, the article mentioned the increases in natural gas and electric costs, as well as property taxes as being a reason for the decline in demand for McMansions.

Back
Top Bottom