LBYMs what do you splurge on?

I just sent in membership to a local yacht club and will probably buy a used daysailor or sunfish at the end of summer. I can sail most of the year, lake is 20 minutes from the house. Total investment including fees and boat will be around 2k. Had a 4k tax refund, spent half on new carpet, half on play stuff. Also headed to Ireland w cheap fares in Sept.

Our room was small and narrow, the size of a closet in many new US homes. However, its bathroom and bed were clean, and that was all we needed. We were out on the streets in the city all day anyway.
We rented a 2BR/2Bath place off craigslist and the second bedroom was a joke. Fortunately, our travelling friends rented the place in Nice and it was our turn to rough it in the 2nd bedroom.

Good wine. To the OP - $20 is NOT a splurge on wine.... :)
We paid for a wine experience tour in the Benzinger winery in Sonoma. The guide said that $20 covers the cost of any good wine and that any extra is for snob appeal. If we adjust for 7 years, the number might be $26 today.

Fortunately, both DW and I have a palate for young wines.

I have a map that I wanted framed. Went to a local frame shop for an estimate... Basic plexi with no UV protection, simple black wood frame, no matting... $620 and a 2.5-week turnaround.:eek:

It's not that hard (this from someone who hasn't actually done it yet) but from reading the books watching a few youtube videos I gather that the hardest part is going to be adding and subtracting fractions.

That part is probably going to make me a fan of the metric system.

It's not that hard (this from someone who hasn't actually done it yet) but from reading the books watching a few youtube videos I gather that the hardest part is going to be adding and subtracting fractions.

That part is probably going to make me a fan of the metric system.

In the end, I decided to frame the map myself for a lot less money. I got rid of most of my tools when we moved into an apartment, but I kept a small saw and miter box as well as compact band clamp, so I was able to produce something decent.

Store bought clothing, my own pillow, no longer sharing!
Actually, euro trips, cruises and my personal weakness for swiss watches. Hard asset investing...right.

In the end, I decided to frame the map myself for a lot less money. I got rid of most of my tools when we moved into an apartment, but I kept a small saw and miter box as well as compact band clamp, so I was able to produce something decent.

I did the same thing. After having 3 maps framed by a frame store for about $200 a map, I decided to do my own framing for my next map. Now I'm searching for a cool nautical chart to frame.

Doing some exterior house upgrades this summer! But that has been budgeted for for a few years already. We hadn't planned on adding a pergola though, or bricking in a section of the courtyard.

Turn them into DYI projects for exercise, job satisfaction, and LBYM savings?

Turn them into DYI projects for exercise, job satisfaction, and LBYM savings?
Us? Are you kidding? We live in the RGV where contractors come relatively cheap. Plus the folks we hire know what they are doing. We don't have anything done until one of our neighbors has the same thing done, that way we know exactly what we are getting.

Not into major DIY projects, although we may very well build our outside wet bar ourselves, which we haven't gotten around to in 4 years already! Funny how that happens to our DIY projects…….

Late to the thread, but I'd splurge on anything that would make my life easier and more pleasant. Such things are "investments" in my mind, the same as putting money to work for the benefit of my family. You can keep your fancy cars, bespoke clothing, jewelry, etc... If I wanted such things, they're always "on sale" from desperate folks who shouldn't have bought them in the first place!

Just splurged on Samsung 65" 4K UHD 9000 series. Could not wait until enough applications to be there. Still LBYMers but DW and I agreed on this one rather quickly after seeing it a few times at Best Buy.

Soon, I will be splurging on more than 1,000 gallons of gasoline for my motorhome.

I was surfing the Web last night, looking for some interesting restaurants in Halifax.

Last edited:
Things I splurge on:

1. Traveling
  2. Flying business class
  3. Ordering combo instead of "just the sandwich" with water at fast food joints
  4. Dining out "occasionally" without coupon
  5. First run movies at the theater with popcorn and drinks
  6. And just this week, I got basic cable for the first time :)

Things I splurge on:

1. Traveling
  2. Flying business class
  3. Ordering combo instead of "just the sandwich" with water at fast food joints
  4. Dining out "occasionally" without coupon
  5. First run movies at the theater with popcorn and drinks
  6. And just this week, I got basic cable for the first time :)

You are one lucky dude! :D

Back
Top Bottom