Leaking window

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK... I came to get some info about a leak and see that Martha has alread started a thread about a leak... so, in the spirit of stopping ALL leaks... here is my sister's problem...

She had all of her windows replaced... they seemed to have done a great job on most of them, but there are two that are on the side of the house where there is hardiplank that leak... since I know nothing about windows...

Is there supposed to be some kind of flashing that should have been installed? I have not taken the trim board off the top, but there seems to be a gap that they put in some caulk or something that did not work.. I do not see any flashing that would drain away the water...

If there is not supposed to be flashing... then what is supposed to keep the water from running down the side, behind the trim piece at the top and around the window edge into her living room with her new wood floors:confused:

Just to stop one possible answer... the contractor did a great job on a lot of stuff, but is now being pursued by the police for taking some of my sisters money and LOTS of other people's money... one guy lost $70K... so trying to get him to fix it is out...

Thanks for your help...

Mine have the flashing, I have hardiplank, and no leaks. Beyond that, I cannot offer much help! Maybe other more knowledgeable folk can tell you how to add the flashing to it after the fact.

Absolutely there should be flashing! Caulk will dry out and ultimately fail, causing air and water leaks. My Dad recently had several windows replaced and the installers used a sticky white peel and stick sheet at the bottom (sill area) of the window opening, then they caulked the sides and top of the opening, put in the window, and then covered the outside edges of the frame with more of the peel and stick flashing stuff, making sure not to cover the drip cap on the top. Then they replaced the siding.

We've got a window problem too. We have a sliding door that leaks above the frame. There's another window above it, so I think that's the one that's leaking and the water is dripping down to the slider. Our builder is working on fixing it, so if I see anything useful in what he does I'll pass it along. Good luck.

Absolutely there should be flashing! Caulk will dry out and ultimately fail, causing air and water leaks. My Dad recently had several windows replaced and the installers used a sticky white peel and stick sheet at the bottom (sill area) of the window opening, then they caulked the sides and top of the opening, put in the window, and then covered the outside edges of the frame with more of the peel and stick flashing stuff, making sure not to cover the drip cap on the top. Then they replaced the siding.

Just as you say. This assumes, of course, that we are talking about vinyl windows which are installed with flanges about 2 inches in from the outside of the frame. Since it's Hardiplank that's likely. If the hardiplank is not something you want to pull to do the flashing you might well get by by picking out the failed caulking and replacing it with Vulkem, a nasty sticky non-hardening caulk/cement used on roofing jobs. Nice thing about Vulkem is that it's paintable with latex, unlike silicone caulks, even the ones that claim to be paintable. If you do use Vulem do a neat job, 'cause you're going to get one chance - doesn't clean up with anything you want to use.

The weather side of our old house has all the planks caulked with Vulkem - it works.

OK... I came to get some info about a leak and see that Martha has alread started a thread about a leak... so, in the spirit of stopping ALL leaks... here is my sister's problem...

She had all of her windows replaced... they seemed to have done a great job on most of them, but there are two that are on the side of the house where there is hardiplank that leak... since I know nothing about windows...

Is there supposed to be some kind of flashing that should have been installed? I have not taken the trim board off the top, but there seems to be a gap that they put in some caulk or something that did not work.. I do not see any flashing that would drain away the water...

If there is not supposed to be flashing... then what is supposed to keep the water from running down the side, behind the trim piece at the top and around the window edge into her living room with her new wood floors:confused:

Just to stop one possible answer... the contractor did a great job on a lot of stuff, but is now being pursued by the police for taking some of my sisters money and LOTS of other people's money... one guy lost $70K... so trying to get him to fix it is out...

Thanks for your help...

Although the installer is "on the lam" the window manufacturer may be a source of help. I assume the installer, at one time, was in good standing with the manufacturer and was an "authorized installer" in which case they would stand behind the product. Probably not the case, in this case, but it may be worth a call/e-mail to the manufacturer; won't hurt. Definitely there should have been sealing material used around the entire opening before installing the windows and flashing at the top (under the drip edge) and bottom. Like so many other projects windows installation is not simply paying for a good product since poor installation will ruin the experience. Good Luck.

Although the installer is "on the lam" the window manufacturer may be a source of help. I assume the installer, at one time, was in good standing with the manufacturer and was an "authorized installer" in which case they would stand behind the product. Probably not the case, in this case, but it may be worth a call/e-mail to the manufacturer; won't hurt. Definitely there should have been sealing material used around the entire opening before installing the windows and flashing at the top (under the drip edge) and bottom. Like so many other projects windows installation is not simply paying for a good product since poor installation will ruin the experience. Good Luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions..... I thought of this and did it just before coming back here.... trying to get 'instructions' and see if they will send me some flashing or whatever is needed as she bought a LOT from them... had all her windows replaced with double pane... let's hope they do stand behind their product..

BTW, NOT an authorized installer...

Back
Top Bottom