Lena Has No Health Insurance Until February!

The OneShare temporary insurance has a benefit I hadn't heard of before: They have a phone number that you can call to have someone pray for you.

Writing that, it seems like it's something I made up, so I took a picture:

V89vmcq.png

Awww, that's so sweet!

I wonder if they could pray for the Seahawks... it looks like they could use some prayers right now.

The OneShare temporary insurance has a benefit I hadn't heard of before: They have a phone number that you can call to have someone pray for you. ...

Interesting. There was a study done a few years ago, and IIRC, it did show some statistical advantage to prayer. However, I think it also showed that it was a negative correlation if the person knew they we being prayed for.

The explanation was, if you know a lot of people are praying for you, it must mean you are really on shaky ground, and that led to depression in the person being prayed for, and maybe some negative effects.

Who knows? The placebo and "nocebo" effect is there. Hard to explain (or easy, depending on your beliefs).

-ERD50

I wonder if they could pray for the Seahawks... it looks like they could use some prayers right now.

If you call and say you'll be depressed if they lose, I'm sure they'd do that.

I wonder if you have to give your member number before they'll pray for you. WWJD?

Let's all call and have them pray for Australia or Puerto Rico.

Or just for Al's power to stay on so he can charge his Tesla.

Same thing happened to me. CA/Kaiser subsidy plan for $37/mo was never put into effect although I did receive my insurance card from Kaiser. Due to gezzerhood senioritis forgetfulness I did not notice until April and we had moved to SC. I obtained temporary insurance for around $350/mo. I did not waste any time trying to remedy the past situation because that was too muck like w*rk. I was lucky that I did not need any healthcare.

I spent 40 minutes on the phone today to figure out what happened, the worst part being when I was supposed to be transferred to a supervisor, and started hearing unending instructions in some language I couldn't recognize and had to hang up and start all over again. Rant over.

The problem was related to Medi-Cal. Our income was so low that Medi-Cal got involved somehow. Perhaps when I reported that our 2020 income would be higher, that shut things off with Medi-Cal, or something. The policy got canceled in December, and as a result we didn't get any notification of non-renewal.

It had nothing to do with the telephone blocker.

We'll just eat the $545 for the special plan for January and hope that Lena doesn't have any serious problems between now and Feb 1. We've benefitted from low, subsidized rates for years, and we can afford it.

I spent 40 minutes on the phone today to figure out what happened, the worst part being when I was supposed to be transferred to a supervisor, and started hearing unending instructions in some language I couldn't recognize and had to hang up and start all over again. Rant over.

The problem was related to Medi-Cal. Our income was so low that Medi-Cal got involved somehow. Perhaps when I reported that our 2020 income would be higher, that shut things off with Medi-Cal, or something. The policy got canceled in December, and as a result we didn't get any notification of non-renewal.

It had nothing to do with the telephone blocker.

We'll just eat the $545 for the special plan for January and hope that Lena doesn't have any serious problems between now and Feb 1. We've benefitted from low, subsidized rates for years, and we can afford it.

Al,

It happened to us as well. Last November, CoveredCA emailed us to update our income. We were traveling so we did not. CoveredCA thinks we now have no income, and sent us to Medi-Cal.

When we returned I completed the renew process; uploaded proof-of-income and paid the first month premium. So we are now set for 2020, but I still need Medi-Cal to update our income so they can cancel our application. I started to track down the county Medi-cal program supervisor and worked with her to update their system, then it will update back to CoveredCA system, and cancel our Medi-Cal application.

Unfortunately, she uploaded too much income or maybe she uploaded twice. We now have double the income and exceeded the subsidy level. I called CoveredCA service center to correct this. The agent was trying to adjust the income but somehow he managed to cancel our policy. He created an escalation ticket to the Escalation team to restore our policy. Service level: 30-45 days!

For the next 20 days or so, I made countless phone calls to county Medi-Cal, CoveredCA service center, escalation team (I googled and found their roster), Insurance company, and all of their supervisor/manager for further escalation and push them to work on our escalation ticket.

CoveredCA escalation team finally fixed/restored our policy few days ago; insurance company finally confirmed that our policy is active only yesterday and emailed us the letter of eligibility (the card is in the mail).

If I hadn't called and persistent with my quest, I doubt any one of the groups who made an error would care enough to correct that for me. I would be out of insurance for 2020. Very scary.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom