Less "Efficient" Deep Sleep as You Age

gerntz

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
WSJ Saturday had an article on the problems of sleep as you age. Particularly, it outlines the benefits of deep sleep that become less likely as one ages & contributes to higher mortality. Can't help you to access it:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-older-you-are-the-worse-you-sleep-1507903201

Suggested ways to improve deep sleep:
- exposure to light in evening to help avoid dosing off in evening which accentuates sleeping problems later at night. Light delays natural buildup of melatonin that is associated with sleepiness. So read/watch TV in bright room.
- taking "prescription" melatonin regularly to improve our "circadian timing—the body’s internal clock that times our sleep-wake rhythms.".

I don't know how prescription melatonin differs from OTC versions, but I've used it for years for time zone changes & on planes & it seems to help (Since I take it, can't say how I'd be w/o it.). Articles suggest 0.1-0.5mg about an hour b4 u want to go to sleep & that more that 0.5mg may cause other issues like headaches/nausea. No know long-term health effects.

When I take it, I normally do it when I go to bed vs. an hour before simply because I don't remember to do earlier & it will still do it's thing but on a delayed basis vs. bedtime.

Thanks for the article info and link. I have been using an over the counter product called "Alteril" for a a couple of years it it really help me get to sleep. The 3 primary ingredients in Alteril are L-Tryptophan, Melatonin and Valerian. L-tryp is what is in turkey that makes you sleepy. The package suggests two tablets as a dose but I only take one.
So I take this about 1 hour before bed and I fall asleep fast - my problem is I only get about 6 hours of sleep. https://www.alteril.com/

I've tried Melatonin over the years but it makes me feel foggy in the morning. The only thing that has worked for me is Trazodone (50mg). Without it, I wouldn't get more than 2-3 hours of sleep, but if I take it, I can count on 6-7 hours, which seems to work OK for me.

My big problem is I wake up like the birds, before the sun is fully up.
What helps is I use metal blinds and blackout curtains and regular curtains. Yes all 3 at once in that order to block the light and it's still not enough.

So I wear an eyemask and that really helps me sleep longer, to perhaps 8am.

I don't know how prescription melatonin differs from OTC versions, but I've used it for years for time zone changes & on planes & it seems to help (Since I take it, can't say how I'd be w/o it.). Articles suggest 0.1-0.5mg about an hour b4 u want to go to sleep & that more that 0.5mg may cause other issues like headaches/nausea. No know long-term health effects.

I tried it and had similar results that Ready mentioned. I think one of the problems is that most of the OTC melatonin is many times stronger than the maximum recommended dosage the article listed. It's been awhile but the lowest dosage I could find was 300mcg and still had issues with that.

I tried it and had similar results that Ready mentioned. I think one of the problems is that most of the OTC melatonin is many times stronger than the maximum recommended dosage the article listed. It's been awhile but the lowest dosage I could find was 300mcg and still had issues with that.

that is a minuscule dose..I take between 3 and 6 depending on conditions,in fact the on-line store where I buy my vitamins sell single doses of up to 10mg...Since I'm ER and can wake naturally without having to jump up and head out the door I don't have any issues with my dose size...

Apparently being scared silly by a hurricane is a great temporary solution to sleep problems. Ever since Hurricane Nate went somewhere else, I have slept like the dead for 8-11 hours every night in addition to napping for a half hour or hour every afternoon.

This morning when my alarm went off at 10 AM, I seriously contemplated the idea of just ignoring it and sleeping for several hours longer. This after 8 hours of deep, uninterrupted sleep and pleasant dreaming.

I don't take melatonin or anything else to encourage sleep, and I don't fiddle with the lights really. Last night before bedtime I even listened to old podcasts made just before the Presidential election, that normally would have been very upsetting and would have kept me up all night fuming about my non-favored candidate's statements in the debates. But no, not now. I went directly to bed and fell asleep in about 20 seconds.

Last edited:
I've had sleep issues since early childhood.

I used chemical aids for a while. Melatonin, valarium, benadryl, trazadone and ambian. They worked till they didn't.

White noise, self hypnosis, seem to help. Cool dark rooms, zero alcohol, exercise and sex all seem to be the best treatment.

I sleep better at 60 then 6.

The author of the article in the OP has a new book entitled "Why We Sleep." It looks interesting; I put it on hold at my library a few days ago.

I cut/pounds tablets into smaller doses. I find the effort additionally therapeutic.

Long ago I read a theory somewhere that made some sense. The gist of it was that many of the symptoms of aging are essentially the same as symptoms of lack of sleep.

In other words, we don't get poor sleep because we've aged. We age because we get poor sleep.

I suspect there's a grain of truth there, although I doubt it's really that simple.

Apparently being scared silly by a hurricane is a great temporary solution to sleep problems. Ever since Hurricane Nate went somewhere else, I have slept like the dead for 8-11 hours every night in addition to napping for a half hour or hour every afternoon.

This morning when my alarm went off at 10 AM, I seriously contemplated the idea of just ignoring it and sleeping for several hours longer. This after 8 hours of deep, uninterrupted sleep and pleasant dreaming.

I don't take melatonin or anything else to encourage sleep, and I don't fiddle with the lights really. Last night before bedtime I even listened to old podcasts made just before the Presidential election, that normally would have been very upsetting and would have kept me up all night fuming about my non-favored candidate's statements in the debates. But no, not now. I went directly to bed and fell asleep in about 20 seconds.

I'll have some of what she's having!

Back
Top Bottom