Like to go at 55

Congrats. I am always a little concerned when someone has the entire portfolio in CD's. As you've mentioned prices go up - sometimes by a lot. All CD portfolios are really subject to being eaten up by inflation. I know you have a pension, but if it doesn't have a COLA it is also subject to being eaten by inflation. It may be that your expenses are low enough that you can survive on a very low withdrawal rate, but you might want to run the numbers. Portfolios without any equities require a much lower withdrawal rate to be successful.

Congrats. I am always a little concerned when someone has the entire portfolio in CD's. As you've mentioned prices go up - sometimes by a lot. All CD portfolios are really subject to being eaten up by inflation. I know you have a pension, but if it doesn't have a COLA it is also subject to being eaten by inflation. It may be that your expenses are low enough that you can survive on a very low withdrawal rate, but you might want to run the numbers. Portfolios without any equities require a much lower withdrawal rate to be successful.
And a portfolio with a good percentage in equities can lose as much value in less than a week as a CD portfolio may lose to inflation over a number of years. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom