Lincoln Highway and Route 66

SecondAttempt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In a couple of years we plan to do road trips on Route 66 (2024) and the Lincoln Highway (2025). Living in Arizona most of my life, I have driven most of Route 66 from Texas to California, in pieces, never a dedicated trip.

Anyone done these trips? Any tips? Any other "great American road trips" we should also consider?

We've done Route 66 in segments. The part between Flagstaff and Chicago several times. Around LA another time. CA to Flagstaff another. Great times

I got the Route 66 EZ guide by Gerry McClanahan and the Route 66 "Here it is" state map series for research. Both are very helpful.

We've done bits and pieces of Route 30, but it wasn't as much fun as Route 66.

If you want some scenery, try US 89 (89A) from around Sedona Az north to Canada

Route 66

We had a fabulous time on our Rte66 trip in 2017.
Original plan was to fly to Chicago, pick up one-way rental car for the drive to Santa Monica; turn in car and fly home.
The one-way car rental was out of bounds of all reason, and we found an Enterprise special deal for one-month rental, unlimited miles for $350….and we had a $50 voucher from some past benefit.
So, for $300 plus gas, lodging, meals and entertainment we spent 22 days on the drive (turned the car in early, after 7,000+ miles): Fla to Chicago…Rte66 to LA…I-10 from LA to Fla.

I hope you’ll get to do Route 66 westbound, and return eastbound via Lincoln Hwy.
Have a great ROAD-TRIP!!

Go East and check out the Natchez Trace National Highway.

https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

444 miles of two lane mostly country road through TN, MS and AL. Not a stop sign or a stop light for the entire length. You can camp along the way, or get off the Trace and find gas, food and lodgings in some of the towns that border it.

One of my favorite parts was walking the path that Andy Jackson and his men took heading South to kick the British out of New Orleans. It has to be worn at least 10 feet below the surrounding surface.

Well... they do stop you when they do roadwork and other repairs.

I did bits and pieces of RT 66 when I drove Vettes... (just to say I did it)

When traveling last year, we hit parts of Route 66 west of Flagstaff.

We will take some scenic roads and parkways often, but only segments. And Route 66 goes across some really boring country before it gets to Chicago.

US 2, which comprises much of the Teddy Roosevelt International Highway, could be a nice summertime option. Houlton, ME to Everett, WA. The TR Trail has a stretch through Canada. US 2 itself has two segments, one from Maine to the Canadian border in New York while the western part begins at the Mackinac Straits in Upper Michigan.

Don't forget to take photos along the route. Things are always changing, and not for the better. So it's good to get pics of things that will give you fond memories of your trip.

I made a mural of a smattering of some pics we took on our trips.

Attachments

• 66mural2.jpg
    66mural2.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 21
A few months ago, as part of a long road trip in my campervan, I unwittingly drove a few sections of Route 66. It was then that I discovered how easy it is to "forget Winona"!

If you do FB (wouldn't blame you if you didn't), there are several groups that talk about their Route 66 trips, and post pictures of them.

US 2, which comprises much of the Teddy Roosevelt International Highway, could be a nice summertime option. Houlton, ME to Everett, WA. The TR Trail has a stretch through Canada. US 2 itself has two segments, one from Maine to the Canadian border in New York while the western part begins at the Mackinac Straits in Upper Michigan.

I found a website over weekend with a list of great American road trips. That one was on the list as the "Great Northern."

I think that will make the list because it gets me reasonably close to Lans aux Meadows and the maritime provinces which are also on the bucket list.

I found a website over weekend with a list of great American road trips. That one was on the list as the "Great Northern."

I think that will make the list because it gets me reasonably close to Lans aux Meadows and the maritime provinces which are also on the bucket list.

US 2 west of the Mississippi roughly follows the route of the old Great Northern Railroad, including Glacier National Park.

Back
Top Bottom