Linking Treasury Direct to online bank account

SnowballCamper

Full time employment: Posting here.
Since treasury direct requires a medallion signature on their bank change request form, how have you done that with an online bank (USAA in our case)? Would a local bank be able to provide the signature for a fee?

The original account was linked over a decade ago before this requirement.

Since treasury direct requires a medallion signature on their bank change request form, how have you done that with an online bank (USAA in our case)? Would a local bank be able to provide the signature for a fee?

I think you will have to ask a bank. Based on what I’ve read, some banks won’t even do these for their own customers. There doesn’t seem to be a standard set of rules on this.

Do you have a credit card with a brink & mortar bank? Doesn’t that make you a customer?

Do you have a credit card with a brink & mortar bank? Doesn’t that make you a customer?

Nope. Just with USAA. I'm generally really satisfied with them. We did have a local mortgage before we paid off the house. DW went to open a free checking account and got it signed. It seems the local bank won't ever be extinct.

It's interesting that you can open the treasury direct account with just a routing and account number, but need the medallion signature to link a second account.

It's interesting that you can open the treasury direct account with just a routing and account number, but need the medallion signature to link a second account.

AFAIK, it doesn't have to be "medallion", just a bank's signature guarantee.

I have a tiny savings account at a local Chase bank just for things like this.

Back
Top Bottom