Long Life Not Dependent on Sociability or Sanity

I'm pretty sure Gatsby was banned because of the adulterous relationships--between Gatsby and the married Daisy (who was married to the narrator's cousin), and between Daisy's husband and another woman.

Yes, BestWifeEver is probably right about the reason for banning.

Also there was the theme of the failure of the American Dream. I don't know if that had anything to do with the banning, but some people didn't like that aspect.

Wow, is that quaint?

Ha

Sex (including language, as CITR used the "f" word) is almost always the reason books are banned in schools or libraries (banning sought by community members, not by school or library staff).

Wouldn't want to encourage the little darlings :) .

I know I read Catcher in the Rye, but I really don't remember it other than the title. I remember most of the books I read in high school pretty well. And I really remember To Kill a Mockingbird and The Scarlet Letter.

Audrey

I had the same thought. Incidentally, The Great Gatsby is an outstanding look at the great boom of the 20s.

Ha
I remember having really mixed feelings when reading it and I could in no way identify with any of the characters.

HOWEVER

It did give one an incredible glimpse into the life and culture of the period.

There was a made for TV version (2001 A&E) that really captured the spirit of the book beautifully. Wow - now that I look it up, Toby Stephens was the lead. I remember enjoying the actor playing Jay Gatsby but I never connected who it was not even when I really enjoyed his interpretation of Edward Rochester in the recent PBS Jane Eyre. It's that accent switch that always gets ya!

Amazon.com: The Great Gatsby (A&E): Mira Sorvino, Toby Stephens

Audrey

I'm pretty sure Gatsby was banned because of the adulterous relationships--between Gatsby and the married Daisy (who was married to the narrator's cousin), and between Daisy's husband and another woman.
Ummmmmm - I think that would mean they better ban the bible - at least the old testament.

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom