Look skyward after sunset

Mango1956

Recycles dryer sheets
Venus, the third brightest thing in the sky after the sun and the moon, is visible in the western sky just after sunset-I saw it whilst soaking in the hot tub, and thought it was a plane. But it didn't move! I was astounded that a planet could be visible in the lit up western sky just after sunset. Yes, Venus, is that bright! The next few days are good viewing for planets, apparently. Mars is directly above Venus, and Jupiter is in the eastern sky. The link has great info for sky viewing the planets, stars, etc. Happy star and planet gazing! February 2015 guide to the five visible planets | Astronomy Essentials | EarthSky

It was incredible! I've never seen it so big and bright. And Mars above it obviously red. We had a good look, but the stupid skywalk program wouldn't identify them for some reason. Had to use another source to figure it out.

While you're looking up... it's fun to Spot the Station. Sign up for the app to tell you when and where to look for the ISS going overhead. It's usually very bright.

NASA - Spot The Station

From Google (type "sunset ...your_city") I got sunset is 5:54PM today. So will look westward around 6:50PM tonight. Hopefully no clouds in the west but should have a good view in the next few days.

Am a little worried that if the Greek-German talks go bad maybe Venus will hit Mars? ;) I'll bet the ancients went bananas over this sort of thing.

Anyway, thanks Mango for bringing this night sky stuff up. Nice counterpoint to all terrestrial worrisome news stories. In the end, we don't control much do we? It's all just happening so relax and enjoy the show.

Last edited:
Judging by the graphic on the site, the crescent moon will poke Venus tonight. She may form an alliance with Mars and they'll both go after the naughty moon to teach it a lesson. I'll be watching to see if any drama developes!

What? You can see sunset from your hot tub? That's a good life! :)

Not quite-there are a bunch of hills in the way, but I can see the glow in the western sky, watch the birds, and of course, my favorite part-cloud watching!

Was gorgeous tonight. Lots of earthshine on the thin crescent moon.

It was just spectacular! We first saw it when the sky was light cobalt gradually changing to midnight blue. Then finally black. DH took some shots. We'll see if anything comes out.

The crater details on the moon edge were fantastic! I was looking through a 20x spotting scope.

Agree, it was so lovely! I wasn't able to see the moon last night. Tonight we had the whole enchilada-what a privilege!

Back
Top Bottom