Looking back @ 2019 Bear Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
How many of us a year ago foresaw such a big-bull jump in 2019? I surely did not, nor did I take any action to sell any of my equity position other than to scoop out my RMD recently when the stock market was at/near the all time high. I reinvested much of my RMD transfer back into my VG TSM taxable account and stuck the balance into the PMMF for future fun and games. A retiree has to play some. No?

Merry Christmas gang.

The S&P is up nearly 40% since the close on Christmas Eve 2018, recouping those losses by spring.
https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2019/12/looking-back-at-the-bear-market-a-year-later/

Last edited:
I am pretty sure you mean Bull market

when does the hogs get slaughtered market come? I want to be prepared. I'll sell everything the day before

I already converted my TIRA amount for next year into cask, while markets are high.
My MAGI is now all set for 2020.

when does the hogs get slaughtered market come? I want to be prepared. I'll sell everything the day before

I think the error was writing 2019 when the OP meant late 2018.

+1000000000000000

If you think that either 2018 or 2019 was a bear market, than all I can say is "Oh, my sweet summer child"!! :D

For example, my year over year 12/31 portfolio values were:

2017/2016: 110%
2018/2017: 96%
2019/2018: 113% (using 12/24/2019 instead of 12/31)

and this includes withdrawals for living expenses! Does not seem like a bear to me, except maybe a Teddy bear.

Attachments

• bear2.jpg
    bear2.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 116

and this includes withdrawals for living expenses! Does not seem like a bear to me, except maybe a Teddy bear.
They say memory is the first thing to go when we get old, I forget the second thing. Anyway, here’s a news article from that distant era as a refresher:
We are now in a bear market — here’s what that means
Yeah, well anything for clickbait - - and you clicked on it! :ROFLMAO: Seriously either your memory is failing and you don't REMEMBER 2008-2009, and substituted 2018-2019 in your mind, or else maybe you freak out more easily than I do.

I guess I can define a bear market the way I want to define it, since that article is doing that too. I define it as something that elicits more than a yawn. We have been in a never-before-seen 10-11 year bull market since March of 2009. Oh wait, I forgot to slant that according to my own particular political agenda. :rolleyes:

Yeah, well anything for clickbait - - and you clicked on it! :ROFLMAO: Seriously either your memory is failing and you don't REMEMBER 2008-2009, or else maybe you freak out easily.

It was technically a bear market. The article is proof that some felt it could take a while to recover. That it was over so quickly that it is now difficult to remember was actually one of the OP’s points. I did not freak out at all (there being to evidence of such) and am simply trying to inject some factual support for the OP.

I do not appreciate a personal insult (“maybe you freak out easily”) for simply injecting some supporting material, particularly not from a forum moderator.

Oh for pity sake W2R, would you please stop posting so quickly that you have to go back and edit your posts moments later? On your re-write you now say something about political agendas. I have no idea what that refers to.

I’m outa this thread, you’ve made it personal and with you as a moderator there is no up side for me to continue.

W2R said:

It was technically a bear market. The article is proof that some felt it could take a while to recover. That it was over so quickly that it is now difficult to remember was actually one of the OP’s points. I did not freak out at all (there being to evidence of such) and am simply trying to inject some factual support for the OP.

I do not appreciate a personal insult (“maybe you freak out easily”) for simply injecting some supporting material, particularly not from a forum moderator.
1. I am not a forum moderator.
2. That was not a personal insult, it was an observation of fact. That was not a bear market, it was just a very brief, very mild dip IMO, of the kind that happens a lot due to normal market ups and downs.

A) I'm not sure where this thread meant to go, but clearly it's not going wherever it was intended
B) it's already snippy and argumentative and won't get better given the tone of this first page
C) it's Christmas Day, and every Mod has something they'd rather be doing than dealing with spats on the internet today

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom