Looking for recommendations for St Augustine visit

Carpediem

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW and I will be spending 3 days in St Augustine in a couple of weeks and would love to hear some recommendations for things to do and places to go. And has anyone done a particular tour that you'd recommend?

DW and I will be spending 3 days in St Augustine in a couple of weeks and would love to hear some recommendations for things to do and places to go. And has anyone done a particular tour that you'd recommend?

I recommend taking the trolly tour, you get a good overall review of the City and History.

Visit St. Augustine Beach, even just to walk on the pier and take a look.

Check out the Fort Downtown, walk George Street and the waterfront.

Visit the Fort Matanzas National Monument.

Remember to pick up the local Mint Magazine for discounts on quite a few things.

Just a few for you.

DH and I go to St Augustine often since it's just about a 2.5 hour drive for us. The shops in the historic downtown district, especially along St. George street are fun. Get tickets for the trolley early on, and it will let you get off and back on all throughout the downtown area.

If you are into American art and history, the Lightner Museum is wonderful. If you want more of a "Florida" experience, we love the Alligator Farm Zoological Park.

We also really enjoy some of the boat rides, but especially the Scenic Cruise ones. They take you out far enough to see lots of dolphins and pelicans. Try and sit in the very front of the boat on the first level, outside. It's the best view IMO.

Lots of places to eat, but our favorites are The Raintree for upscale casual dining, and of course Columbia for cuban food.

Sunset Grill on St Augustine beach is a great place the locals seem to like. And we always go to Carmelo's for pizza because it's great. Don't let the fact that it's in a gas station put you off.

Lots of touristy stuff, like the Fountain of Youth and Ripley's Believe It or Not, but a must see is the little house carved out of a tree trunk. This is a free exhibit that is in the parking lot of Ripley's, and it's great fun to go through.

Whatever you do, you'll have fun. We always do, and we've been there many times.

Last edited:
We go to St Augustine once in awhile since we live 30 minutes up the coast. A couple of the things we have done in the past are listed below. Lots of fun and a great way to see the coast. I started going to St Aug back in the late 60s when there were more actual craftspeople and street musicians. It has changed a lot since then. Here is what I suggest as something a bit more exciting than looking in trinket shops.

The Vintage biplane is a WACO 1930s design open cockpit. Bring your white silk scarf and fly like Snoopy. It seats 2 together behind the pilot.

Vintage Biplane Rides
(904) 428-3468
Located at the Northeast Florida Regional Airport
4900 US Route 1,
St. Augustine, FL 32095

7 a.m. to sunset Monday through Saturday.

The other is a motorized hang glider that you ride tandem with the pilot behind you. One passenger at a time. After a few instructions he let us take over the controls and give it a try. Lots of fun!

Cheers!

+1 for eating at the Columbia. Making a reservation would be a good idea.

I recommend taking the trolly tour, you get a good overall review of the City and History.

Visit St. Augustine Beach, even just to walk on the pier and take a look.

Check out the Fort Downtown, walk George Street and the waterfront.

Visit the Fort Matanzas National Monument.

Remember to pick up the local Mint Magazine for discounts on quite a few things.

Just a few for you.

Second the trolley tour. There are a bunch of trolleys on the route and you just get on and off at whatever stops you want, and stay as long as you want at the various stops.

Back
Top Bottom