Looks like we might make it

Alderman

Dryer sheet aficionado
Retired from a factory job at 62 about 2 1/2 years ago. Used some IRA money to purchase 40+ acres of real estate adjacent to our home, guaranteeing privacy for as long as we want. Since that time our stock investments have returned over double what we paid for the property and I feel confident we can get a substantial increase from the real estate if and when we opt to sell it as it located close to the biggest employer in our county.

We have finally reached the million dollar mark in our investments, not counting the real estate.

Honestly when we started saving years ago I thought $200,000 might be attainable. I never imagined I would earn $100,000 in a month off my savings but never imagined I would lose $90,000 in a month either. Lol.

Other than the real estate purchase we have been living off my pension and social security income. The property provides wild game to fill the freezer and firewood to heat the home.

Made some changes to the portfolio and have moved more to the money market and purchased energy funds after they bottomed out.

Will be 65 in April and am looking forward to a substantial saving in the cost of health care insurance. That monthly fee for private insurance is a bit hard to take.

I have developed some new hobbies in retirement and am quite content to putter around the place but enjoy the fact we can leave on a whim to vacation as we please.

I feel blessed as a common laborer in a paper factory to have reached this portion of my life in some financial comfort. IMG_1498.jpg
IMG_1570.jpg
IMG_1450.jpg
IMG_1424.jpg
IMG_1306.jpg

Retired from a factory job at 62 about 2 1/2 years ago. Used some IRA money to purchase 40+ acres of real estate adjacent to our home, guaranteeing privacy for as long as we want. Since that time our stock investments have returned over double what we paid for the property and I feel confident we can get a substantial increase from the real estate if and when we opt to sell it as it located close to the biggest employer in our county.

We have finally reached the million dollar mark in our investments, not counting the real estate.

Honestly when we started saving years ago I thought $200,000 might be attainable. I never imagined I would earn $100,000 in a month off my savings but never imagined I would lose $90,000 in a month either. Lol.

Other than the real estate purchase we have been living off my pension and social security income. The property provides wild game to fill the freezer and firewood to heat the home.

Made some changes to the portfolio and have moved more to the money market and purchased energy funds after they bottomed out.

Will be 65 in April and am looking forward to a substantial saving in the cost of health care insurance. That monthly fee for private insurance is a bit hard to take.

I have developed some new hobbies in retirement and am quite content to putter around the place but enjoy the fact we can leave on a whim to vacation as we please.

I feel blessed as a common laborer in a paper factory to have reached this portion of my life in some financial comfort. View attachment 37721
View attachment 37722
View attachment 37723
View attachment 37724
View attachment 37725

Sounds like you have done a great jo managing and investing your money! Congratulations! Great view from your property!

Beautiful countryside. What part of the world are you in? I am guessing Northwest, US.

Beautiful photos. Are those all from your property? I love the idea of buying the land around you. It seems like so many people find an idyllic place but without owning enough land they are surrounded and lose their peacefulness and privacy. Congrats on all you accomplished.

Very nice!

Congratulations you have done very well. I always perk up when I see people bought land. I think it is one of the most enjoyable purchases I have made in my life time. I was at the ranch today and need to cut a tree that was hung up amongst some live trees and this widow maker needed to come down.
Thanks for sharing your success!!

Congrats.
Nice to see all different career types retire with happiness.

We are in NW Oregon. Pics are from our property above our home. Most of the property is zoned forest land but there is some zoned residential so the potential for 4 or 5 buildable lots. The forest land is taxed at a low rate. The power company just finished redoing the road up there and they put up a gate some years back to help keep people out.
At some point when it’s no longer fun I think we will sell and move to a drier climate.

Gorgeous scenery! Congratulations on all of your accomplishments.

We are in NW Oregon. Pics are from our property above our home. Most of the property is zoned forest land but there is some zoned residential so the potential for 4 or 5 buildable lots. The forest land is taxed at a low rate. The power company just finished redoing the road up there and they put up a gate some years back to help keep people out.
At some point when it’s no longer fun I think we will sell and move to a drier climate.

Very nice!! I am on the opposite side of the country, but those views are very nice. Enjoy!!

Loved that general area on vacation. Not my cup of tea for permanent, but I can see the allure. All the best to you. Enjoy the fruits of your labor AND planning!

Nice picture of Mt St Helens.
You must work in Longview, live near the town St Helens.
What a wonderful life.
I moved to the PNW when I was 17, swore I’d never leave....never have.

Anyone should be very fortunate to live in a place of such immense beauty.

And there's not a thing wrong with working for a living--and retiring. Most of my relatives worked for the power company as IBEW electricians, and they were well compensated in their retired years.

I had a close friend that was Exec. VP of one of the biggest paper companies. But he had a Type A personality and he died young after a heart transplant and cancer.

Back
Top Bottom