Lunar Eclipse, Did you know

old medic

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are in a great spot to watch, and I managed to have a restless night so was up several times.. It was super bright earlier and got to see it start, stepped back out about 1/2 way.... about 430 I stepped out.... WOW... PITCH BLACK... no indication of an outline at all...
But the wild part was how cold it had become. Temp dropped about 10 degrees as Im typing... So a Google search confirms that solar heat IS reflected back to Earth off the Moon and raises night time temps.
https://apnews.com/article/8a1b9a6ac19d84d43b1040243d31b021

Last edited:
We are in a great spot to watch, and I managed to have a restless night so was up several times.. It was super bright earlier and got to see it start, stepped back out about 1/2 way.... about 430 I stepped out.... WOW... PITCH BLACK... no indication of an outline at all...
But the wild part was how cold it had become. Temp dropped about 10 degrees as Im typing... So a Google search confirms that
Last night Frank told me he was planning to stay up and photograph it, if he could. It's supposed to have a reddish tint, "the blood moon", which I guess is unusual. I'm too sleepy, just awakened and peeked in here at the forum but I'm headed back to bed right now.

Seen a lunar eclipse many times but when I got up to go to the bathroom, I did take a few minutes to look outside. Still cool, no matter how many times I’ve seen it. One of my bucket list items is to go somewhere where the sky is really dark and observe the sky. I also went to the solar eclipse in 2017. That was spectacular and I’m looking forward to the one in 2024.

Saw it when I got up this morning. Took a picture that I need to get off the camera.

Bad cell phone shot from a moving vehicle but the moon was resting on a high tension tower when I saw it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 6.56.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 6.56.26 AM.png
    554 KB · Views: 18
I didn't know, but at 4AM I looked out to see a partial reddish moon. It had been bright when I went to bed.

But the wild part was how cold it had become. Temp dropped about 10 degrees as Im typing... So a Google search confirms that solar heat IS reflected back to Earth off the Moon and raises night time temps.

Wow, didn’t know that!

Saw the moon shortly after riding last night, simultaneously with sunset, so a “perfect” full moon. Beautiful!

Last edited:
I also went to the solar eclipse in 2017. That was spectacular and I’m looking forward to the one in 2024.

We laid on floats in lake Keowee SC about 100 foot from the center of the path. Awesome comes to mind. We are Planning on finding a spot for 2024 also.

Interesting, but I don't think they are talking anything like a 10 degree delta (even F).

However (and I have a little trouble getting my head around this), a clear night does allow infrared heat on Earth to escape to the cold of space. A cloudy night blocks/reflects that.

That is why you will see frost on the grass when the air temperature was still a few degrees above freezing. I think you can experience this on a cold clear night by putting a piece of cardboard between your cheek turned toward the sky, remove the cardboard, and you will sense it becoming colder.

PS - Oh no, do we now need to worry about "Lunar Warming" discussions going off the rails? :)

-ERD50

I got up early for my walk with the dog this morning and saw it at 5:30 a.m. Just the top part of the moon was white, and the rest was deep orange. More of the white part began to show about 20 minutes in. Then clouds came over the moon, and that was that.

Last night Frank told me he was planning to stay up and photograph it, if he could. It's supposed to have a reddish tint, "the blood moon", which I guess is unusual. I'm too sleepy, just awakened and peeked in here at the forum but I'm headed back to bed right now.

I did go back to bed and was sound asleep just moments after posting the above.

Frank said it was too foggy to see anything. Oh well, at least we can look at photos displayed on the internet by those who saw the blood moon in less foggy locations.

I was able to see it from my chair in our sunroom. Fairly average lunar eclipse, which is to say it was pretty cool.

But I have to call it on the full moon temperature rise. It just doesn’t make sense for a ten degree drop during a lunar eclipse (but a solar eclipse, definitely yes). If you read the linked article it does say the temperature contribution from a full moon would be undetectable by a person, 0.03 deg F averaged over the Earth.

I can't remember if I'd ever seen one before or not, but this morning I woke up a bit early, and put the news on, something I rarely do. They mentioned something about the lunar eclipse and out of curiosity I went out and looked.

Pretty cool. I only saw it when the moon was at a narrow crescent, and the rest of it was sort of a very faded, faint copper. That was about 4:30 or so.

My housemate went out to look at it around 5:30, and it was still there, looked about the same, but unfortunately had moved below the top of the tree line, so the view wasn't as good. But you could still see it, through openings in the branches.

I used to live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Didn’t get to see a lunar eclipse because of the evening fog. Last night was the Loy Krathong festival in Thailand and my wife pointed it out to me around 7pm. The moon was about 80-90% in shadow.

Pitch black? You weren't looking in the right place. I've always been able to see a faint moon during the 100 or so lunar eclipses I've seen in my lifetime including yesterday's.

As for the temp dropping 10 degrees because of the eclipse I call BS. Even the article you cite says the effect is 0.03 degrees. During a total solar eclipse you get those kind of drops and more (I've personally measured the effects during two solar eclipses - one total, one annular).

I don't attribute the temp drop to the Eclipse, as anyone who has awaited dawn in a tree stand know thats the coldest part of the day anyway. As for the pitch black... figured out clouds had moved in.

hmmm, it's darker out there

Had to be out early, and I did notice that it was much darker than usual, almost black as I'm fairly rural...
but I was heading out early as I was a poll worker and had to be there (you need to get there early to do all the checks etc prior to opening the polls)

Did get to get out and see a faint reddish moon

(but I was in an area that was within zone of totality during the 2017 solar eclipse... just had to go out on the deck :D.... solar eclipse's are far more dramatic as you can even notice the wildlife, like birds, suddenly quiet down (it was summer, august, so really didn't notice/remember any temp decline during the solar eclipse))

Back
Top Bottom