Mac malware

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Interesting report from Elastic Security Labs.

They found that 50% of malware on MacOS comes from one app: MacKeeper.

It claims to "keep your Mac clean and safe with zero effort" but it also has a reputation for being difficult to completely uninstall.

Also in the report, it seems that 6.2% of malware ends up on MacOS devices, compared to 54.4% on Windows and 39.4% on Linux.

https://www.elastic.co/security-labs/

Seems this report should put that company out of business. However, glad to hear Apple is still the most least affected OS from malware.

Where on that link is the report you quoted from? Those numbers seem odd, I'm curious as to the methodology.

-ERD50

The Apple help desk tells me there's no need for Malwarebytes, which for some reason I think it's extra protection. I have Malwarebytes loaded on my iMac.

MacKeeper is the only thing I’ve had pop-up occasionally and I’ve avoided it. It’s been a very long time now since I’ve seen it, but the first couple of times it popped up it was very confusing and I’m glad I closed the app immediately.

MacKeeper is the only thing I’ve had pop-up occasionally and I’ve avoided it. It’s been a very long time now since I’ve seen it, but the first couple of times it popped up it was very confusing and I’m glad I closed the app immediately.

What I remember from that report is that it has a number of vulnerabilities (and they have been in it for years), so the bad guys have several ways to covertly insert malware when it's running in a connected computer. Nasty stuff. There is a new version since a year or two ago, supposedly safe but I still wouldn't trust it.

The Apple help desk tells me there's no need for Malwarebytes, which for some reason I think it's extra protection. I have Malwarebytes loaded on my iMac.

I have Malwarebytes on my mac, no problems but not sure it does anything useful either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom