Made it known today

My COO died suddenly and the VP of sales got promoted. Family owned company. He and I didn’t get along. After 3 years I gave him a 2 week notice and while a bit surprised he never asked me to stay longer or help transition. I was a VP as well.

At least I got along with my boss, & even kissed her goodbye, when I retired. Of course, I'm married to her....

Congrats. Nice to be in the driver seat controlling what you want to do!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the positive energy and encouragement. I work for a good organization and have begun to announce to various groups/people now that my boss has informed upper management. So far I have had a very positive reaction from everyone. (Likely some are glad I'll be gone but mostly just happy I have positive plans.)

I made the decision to retire on my birthday but waited to announce until after raises, bonuses and LTIs were awarded. I set my target date three months in the future to be on my 63rd birthday. I requested a shadow replacement that I would transition authority to incrementally as I educated and introduced him/her to my customer counterparts around the world. My company went into their "standard" leadership selection process for some one of my level and burnt 7 weeks of the transition leaving only 5 weeks until my exit. my replacement and I did a whirlwind tour of customer leadership and the date came very quickly. Boss came in the week before my final day and requested that I extend my departure date by three additional months. Bottom line is the old saying that that you retire when "you have enough and you've had enough". My leadership team was quite capable of running their pieces of my portfolio of programs in support of my replacement. I said goodbye the day before my birthday and started my "what's next" job of being a grandfather and helping my three grandsons become immersed in STEM. Haven't looked back and am happy that I did it when I did. Timing could not have been better because shortly after I retired the COVID fiasco started.

Congrats

Contrats on your announcement. It is a relief to get things out in the open!

I turned in my letter of resignation/retirement this past Monday with a last day of work as December 22, 2023. Include with a three page outline on what is currently happening and a path forward in what needs to happen in my department. It is relieving to get the cards face up on the table.

Congratulations. I bet you feel a relief having the news "out there"

I turned in my letter of resignation/retirement this past Monday with a last day of work as December 22, 2023. Include with a three page outline on what is currently happening and a path forward in what needs to happen in my department. It is relieving to get the cards face up on the table.

Congrats yourself, and welcome.

All I got on my layoffs was one day. Thats what I gave my last company as well.

Now they don't even give you one day. They kill your account & lay you off on a zoom meeting.

At least I got along with my boss, & even kissed her goodbye, when I retired. Of course, I'm married to her....

You better hope she does not sue you for sexual harrassment and take all your retirement!

Congrats! Sounds like it will work out even though you told them well ahead of departure date. I will plan to give 4 months notice to my boss. I have a direct report that works for me who I know will take my spot when I leave. I told him my plans 3 years ago and have been mentoring him since then. I am gradually bringing him into higher level meetings with my boss so they have a relationship built before I tell my boss my plans to retire early. I want to leave on good terms which I fully expect so I can leave future options open if I ever had to rejoin the work force. I think a lot of how long one should give notices depends on the company and the culture. Some will walk you out the door the moment you tell them your expected retire date, others will appreciate you giving them plenty of time to coordinate the transition. All depends on the company and management.

My partner is (was?) a teacher. Her last day with kids was yesterday (Friday) and it turned out to be very emotional for her. She has a couple more days of work but basically done. Today we went to a small party that turned into a surprise retirement party for her. I'm not sure how much was planned but it was mostly about a dozen teachers from her school who I had never met. In the end it turned into a huge cry fest about how my partner is the soul of the school. Lots of Hawaii cultural things going on but I was almost in tears myself hearing all the speeches from her coworkers about how much she will be missed. There was a lot of alcohol involved which contributed to the atmosphere (although I was designated driver today) but it really made me see her in a new light hearing how much her coworkers respect her! A friend of the host was there who happens to be a local Hawaiian musician performer. My partner brought her ukelele so the last couple of hours was a classic kanikepila with my partner on ukelele and the other guy on guitar with a lot of singing by everyone. Very special for her! Definitely not her first time but still quite special to share that with her former coworkers.

Kanikepila = literally "sound the bell" but is a local term for a jam session.

Last edited:
What a wonderful retirement send off for your partner! Sounds like a lovely party.

I gave 1 year notice. It is traditional where I worked. Most of my colleagues were jealous. I told them I did not want a retirement party. Thankfully they honored my desire.

Congrats, I gave my final employer about 8 months notice and they took it and treated me very well. Hope your company does the same for you.

Update: I made my retirement intentions known early last year and wrote about it in this thread. Things have been pretty normal since then and I am on track to gracefully step aside in the next 2-5 months. I want to leave one of my projects in a good place (preferably complete) and I've agreed to a 30-60 day overlap with my replacement. The overlap is more of a gentleman's agreement than anything they can hold me too. And I'm skeptical they can get a replacement in place as quickly as that implies relative to my departure date so the overlap may be as a consultant or part time employee which is fine with me.

I'm confident in my finances but have been doing a lot of double-checking over the last few weeks to make sure I don't have any huge errors in my spreadsheets. Plus I am finetuning my tactical plan for Roth conversions and that kind of thing.

All-in-all, I feel good about everything and have entered the final approach stage of my career journey. It feels great!

That is great! Looking forward to more posts when you are completely done.

Back
Top Bottom