Make a Power Move?

Not a Californian, but if I were faced with recurrent blackouts, I would have an off-grid solar system with battery storage, with at least enough capacity to keep the fridge going, plus some lights and electronics. It does not have to be as big and elaborate as the one I am working on for fun.

If one has a home in a suburb or a rural area, it is not that hard to install the above. When there's no outage, the system will help reduce the electric bill.

The problem is places where you have the power cut are also in the fire danger zone. You can't win.

If you are in the city core, you get both electricity and safety from fire. Life is not fair, just like a concurrent thread about good-looking children also grow up to be smarter. Dang!

PS. I was thinking about starting a thread to show people how to throw together a simple system using off-the-shelf components to let them keep their food in the fridge, and surf the Web and post commiserating notes on this forum. :)

I live in the city and get neither. I had to argue with the insurance agent to raise the replacement value of my house to what it would actually cost to rebuild - over $400 a square foot.

I think you should start a consulting business. Fly out to Silly Valley and set some of these systems up. You could get your initial client base from my Nextdoor feed, where people argue whether they should get generators or Tesla walls.

I don't think I posted this link here, but in light of what has been happening it's interesting. It's the fire hazard rating for every building in California. If you live in California, you may be surprised.

https://gis.ucla.edu/blog/fire-hazard-every-building-in-california-interactive-map

ETA: I think the real battle will be over the insurability of a fairly high number of houses in the state. Insurers may pull out of some areas, similar to what happened in Florida. Houses that are not insurable cannot be mortgaged. There may be a state pool, probably even more chronically underfunded that PG&E. We shall see...

Last edited:
Not a Californian, but if I were faced with recurrent blackouts, I would have an off-grid solar system with battery storage, with at least enough capacity to keep the fridge going, plus some lights and electronics. It does not have to be as big and elaborate as the one I am working on for fun.

I'd move somewhere else that has reliable power. No reason to live like it's the early 1900's

Many people cannot or do not want to move for various reasons.

And the blackouts are supposed to happen sporadically only in the high wind season, and not a weekly event throughout the year. Else, I would think the state would be emptied out fast, except for highly concentrated cities like SF or LA.

If one decides to stay, an expense of $2K to make life tolerable is not too hard a burden.

"Wherever you live sux!" "Oh yeah? Yo' mama!"

I appreciate this forum. The members truly care for one another.

For 40 years my family owned season tickets to the local NFL team. From the first tailgate beer, through the whole game, to the final potato chip when packing up in the parking lot afterward, there was a constant trading of trash talk from fans on both sides. It was always good-natured, wholesome fun.*

Just like it is here. :smitten:

*I probably don't need to point out we were NOT in Philadelphia. Those fans don't even like their own teams! :LOL:

I see new commercial and industrial structures all the time, both block and tilt up. I have not seen a single block or ICF home built here. Block was used by some individuals back in the 1950's because it was cheap post WWII and codes were lax or nonexistent. My understanding is that block is not resistant to earthquakes unless it is specially reinforced. I'm sure higher cost could be a factor as well.

Surely you're not suggesting a code-approved residential structure could be built with unreinforced masonry today?

Just as the rest of us get to help pay to rebuild all those fancy homes on the Outer Banks after a hurricane.

Residential building codes have been changed to require increased wind resistance.

Has the same has been done for fire resistance?

E.g. masonry siding is substantially more fire-resistant than stucco over wood.

Or, G_d help us, vinyl siding...but I bet that is what gets used on the majority of rebuilt homes.

Surely you're not suggesting a code-approved residential structure could be built with unreinforced masonry today?

No, it seemed like you were. Block is not used here for houses. Vinyl siding is unusual. Almost every new build is stucco over wood. Sometimes there is brick or siding type trim.

There are pictures of the rebuilt Coffey Park neighborhood in Santa Rosa floating around in the news because of the current fire. What do you see? Block after block of stucco houses with comp shingle roofs.

"PG&E told a federal judge Tuesday that as of Sept. 21, the company had completed 760 miles out of the 2,455 miles of power lines where it intends to take extra steps to cut back vegetation."

PG&E is Less Than One Third Done With It's 2019 Tree-trimming Work

When they have tried to cut the vegetation in the past, environmental groups put up a lot of resistance, increasing expenses.

Maybe the State can do their part with prescribed burns and removing overgrown areas by logging.

In Oregon vegetation is actively managed around power lines. That said, we have a lot of overgrown forests thanks to Spotted Owl do-gooders. Our rain is a mixed blessing.

One risk is when high winds bring an old tree down and it grabs a power line in a residential area. Usually, it lands on the street and parked cars. Yesterday a school bus was impacted, kids made it in time for lunch as first the power company needed to shut off the lines then the tree had to be removed.

We got back home today from our escape-the-power-outage trip.

Yes, it was inconvenient, but we threw some money at the problem and had a great little "vacation" up in Oregon.

KpKSU4U.png

A lot of time was spent trying to figure out when the power was coming back on. We ended up staying one day longer than necessary because PG&E made some bad estimates.

Couldn't quite bring ourselves to look at houses.

If one has a home in a suburb or a rural area, it is not that hard to install the above. When there's no outage, the system will help reduce the electric bill.

The problem is places where you have the power cut are also in the fire danger zone. You can't win.

If you are in the city core, you get both electricity and safety from fire. Life is not fair, just like a concurrent thread about good-looking children also grow up to be smarter. Dang!

PS. I was thinking about starting a thread to show people how to throw together a simple system using off-the-shelf components to let them keep their food in the fridge, and surf the Web and post commiserating notes on this forum. :)
Yes please start a thread, I for one would love to get some info. I'm in California and I've seriously been thinking about running out to Harbor Freight and getting a generator not just for the power cuts but also for an earthquake emergency. I have done no research yet how what size to get and I've also been thinking that solar might also be an option so I will look forward to your posts

Yes, it was inconvenient, but we threw some money at the problem and had a great little "vacation" up in Oregon.

KpKSU4U.png

A lot of time was spent trying to figure out when the power was coming back on. We ended up staying one day longer than necessary because PG&E made some bad estimates.

At least you weren't evacuated for the fire in Sonoma County...

You have a sweet place now. Take your time figuring out if you want to move and where. Things should settle down soon and you can make an unpressured decision.

I'd move somewhere else that has reliable power. No reason to live like it's the early 1900's

I am surrounded by communities supplied by PG&E. And they are undergoing their 3rd power shut-off in as many weeks. My DB wants to move from southern CA to northern CA to be closer to his 2 sisters. I think he should definitely rule out any home powered by PG&E.

Maybe the State can do their part with prescribed burns and removing overgrown areas by logging.

Most of the fires are occurring in areas with mostly brushy vegetation, or brush mixed with dry grass..........not trees (or at least not many trees). So, logging is not an option in these areas. As far as prescribed burns - yes, they can help, but in areas that are already fairly heavily populated with people (and their houses), they aren't a viable option either, as the risk of having an escaped burn is simply too high with all the structures in the area.

Al, so glad you got away and that you are home, safe, and have power now. Our hearts go out to you and others affected by the fires or power outages.

There is plenty of time to decide whether or not you want to move away. This might not happen again for years and years, if ever.

It seems that the Reagan Library was just recently saved because they employ a herd of goats to forage/graze around the perimeter to eliminate the flammable brush. I'm sure PG&E could hire some 4 legged employees to do the same, provide some milk and meat, and fudge raw material.

Most of the fires are occurring in areas with mostly brushy vegetation, or brush mixed with dry grass..........not trees (or at least not many trees). So, logging is not an option in these areas. As far as prescribed burns - yes, they can help, but in areas that are already fairly heavily populated with people (and their houses), they aren't a viable option either, as the risk of having an escaped burn is simply too high with all the structures in the area.

Then a wide clear cut swath, like a gas pipeline uses, is in order.

Fire roads are also a technique to stop fires. It can be done. They do it in other parts of the country.

You may not stop the fires from starting, but when they do start, they can be managed.

I was thinking about starting a thread to show people how to throw together a simple system using off-the-shelf components to let them keep their food in the fridge, and surf the Web and post commiserating notes on this forum. :)

I broke down and did it.

See: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...yet-powerful-solar-storage-system-100531.html

I think you should start a consulting business. Fly out to Silly Valley and set some of these systems up. You could get your initial client base from my Nextdoor feed, where people argue whether they should get generators or Tesla walls.

It's not earth-shaking, and many DIY'ers are doing it all around the world. I ran across a forum by Aussies, who are into this off-grid solar thing due to the grid reliability, and also to save cost. Some of them are very technical, and they hacked an inverter brand to modify its firmware. Due to their preference of that brand, I trust their expertise and buy the same brand.

Yes please start a thread, I for one would love to get some info. I'm in California and I've seriously been thinking about running out to Harbor Freight and getting a generator not just for the power cuts but also for an earthquake emergency. I have done no research yet how what size to get and I've also been thinking that solar might also be an option so I will look forward to your posts

Please see above.

I saw the above, but decided to make a specific thread to talk about the off-grid solar system, which can get involved with technical details.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom