Making Moneydance really dance?

ChugiakTinkerer

Confused about dryer sheets
I'm getting back into using personal finance software after a couple of decades away from Quicken. I've got all of our 2017 expenses entered into KMyMoney, an open source package I'm running on my Likux Desktop. It works, but so far seems to need a good bit of manual intervention.

Moneydance looks like it could be a winner, especially when I saw this little nugget:
braumeister said:
Another nice feature of Moneydance. It now incorporates the ability to write your own plugins in Python.

I'm fixating on being able to import banking data into my financial software and not have to do much, if any, editing of the resulting entries. Right now my credit unions and bank cards give me pretty crappy QXF. Typically the payee comes in like:
CHGCHEVRON 1234 ANYST:CHUGIAKAK 2017NOV22 #765649937389494

I guess I'm asking how well Moneydance can take something like that turn it into a tidy little entry? Or perhaps I need to consider a different financial institution. For ease of data entry I would be more than willing to switch banks.

Does Moneydance live up to your expectations? How does it exceed or disappoint?

Moneydance gives you full access to all of your data in Python. I use it for a lot of custom reporting and recently, for updating stock quotes.

I’m not quite sure how you’d want to clean-up your downloaded transactions, but there’s nothing stopping you from doing this in Python.

Moneydance also matches downloaded transactions to cleaner versions that have been learned. For example, the one you showed could be resolved to Chevron with whatever category you specified.

I just tried Moneydance. IMHO it does a poor job of importing from QIF files. I think I am going give up (After only One morning Playing with it). I do not want to mess with Python programming, I just want something that works, but NOT in or associated with the Cloud.

I have imported all my data seamlessly from Quicken into MS money Plus Sunset Edition with minimum effort.

The First basic import of my home as an Asset into MD failed miserably, adding entries that were not in the original data. Also the Columns cannot seem to be adjusted, at least I cannot figure out how to do it. The Totals are too big to fit in the field and gets cut off. But I am told that is just not an obvious thing to change.

Last edited:
Thank you both. I've downloaded and installed Moneydance and will experiment for a while. I'm starting from practically a clean slate, and the flexibility that the Python programming offers is really enticing.

Back
Top Bottom