Making my first HSA claim ... questions

BarbWire

Recycles dryer sheets
For years I had an HDHP and contributed to an HSA, but never tapped into it.

Medicare began on June 1; I will start Social Security in 5 years. The funds in the HSA should cover Medicare + medical expenses during those five years.

My HSA is at Fidelity, and I plan to collect receipts for each calendar year and apply for reimbursement in late December.

My understanding is that I can use the HSA to pay premiums for Part A ($0), Part B + IRMAA, Part D + IRMAA. It cannot be used to pay Medigap premiums (Plan G). So far, so good.... I think.

Questions:

1) Last week I had cataract surgery. My out-of-pocket expenses were related to upgraded lenses (additional parts and labor ;)), required non-Rx compounded eye drops, and strongly suggested OTC eye drops. Are all of these HSA-eligible expenses?

2) Part B deductible: is this HSA eligible? I paid one doc office $180 and another $53, which they itemized as "co-pay" which seems to be eligible per Google.

Thank you!

Looks like you have it right and shouldn't have any issue with those expenses. I've been taking HSA distributions for the last 10 years and never had to explain or justify any expenses, most were for dental and vision care. Unless you take out a large amount all at once there is little chance of the IRS questioning your distribution.

Last edited:
Thanks! I was pretty sure I understand correctly, but it is nice to have someone say "Yep, you've got it."

Back
Top Bottom