Making OMY enjoyable, worthwhile, ...

I'm in TMY (Two more years) mode and so far and enjoying it. Since I like my job the politics is fairly easy to ignore. I'm not overworking myself, shutting down the work computer at the end of the work day and weekends, and while still saving am "splurging" on various things, such as home improvements will last longer than I will. :)

I'm definitely in OMY "come what may" mode, and making that mode part of my transition to retirement, and next phase of our lives plan. Decided it was better for me to let megacorp take action to push me out (a 60 year old) assuming they do (I do provide a valuable service to them and 30 years of experience). Versus me initiating that action until our transition plans are completely complete (working hard on those now).

Playing it by ear, my attitude with work according to my DW is MUCH BETTER since taking this approach, so guess I'm moving in right direction...we'll see!

Last edited:
I predict that the commute in Houston will be much easier by the end of 2015.
I certainly agree. Right now I leave for work at 3:30 am or a little after. It takes me just under an hour to get to work and you can imagine the traffic is pretty light. The key is to be able to leave at 2:30 pm which lets me get home in just over an hour. The traffic turns into a disaster after 3 pm and it could take me 1 1/2 hours to get home.

Layoffs are beginning in our Upstream business unit in a big way. The headcount reduction efforts are all in effect. Long term vacations are no longer approved unless a project awaits you when the vacation is over. People are slowly disappearing and the parking garage is becoming much less crowded. Even with no traffic, the commute is more trouble than its worth for me now.

My business area is still going strong but not strong enough to absorb Upstream people. If things continue, we could also find it hard to keep everyone busy. It's a good time to leave.

My last day is February 27. I found that out today when I tried to leave today or next Friday. My boss wants the continuity with the client until the project is just about over.

that's why I always chose to live close to the office in Houston - at least the commute didn't totally suck unless we had a Texas flood

I think I will decorate my office to resemble my room/home - high def TV, coffee table, refrigerator, sofa, .... That way, it feels more like ER than OMY when at work.

I think I will decorate my office to resemble my room/home - high def TV, coffee table, refrigerator, sofa, .... That way, it feels more like ER than OMY when at work.

I once worked with a colleague who did this. (We worked long hours). On occasion, her many appliances overloaded the power circuit and the rest of us would have a blackout.

I once worked with a colleague who did this. (We worked long hours). On occasion, her many appliances overloaded the power circuit and the rest of us would have a blackout.

LOL. That's why my megacorp bans those in office. They are liabilities. Maybe, I will just hang up pictures on the wall.

LOL. That's why my megacorp bans those in office. They are liabilities. Maybe, I will just hang up pictures on the wall.

Ours banned everything, including art on the wall,. Your chair had to come from them.They blew $2500 in chairs that didn't work for me.

My monitors height was an issue, I'd stuck a few packs of paper under them and all was well for me. The young lady freaked out! I ended up with official monitor risers at about $50 bucks each.

Art on the wall not allowed, official art came from corporate. Expensive art, not junk "work is great posters".

You could personalize your desk, family pictures, trophys, certificates etc. I streched it with some nice rocks, railroad spikes, and a few good roadapples; things I could use in case of some whack job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom