Man lives of dead moms SS - for 15 years

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
The article would have been much more [-]helpful and reassuring[/-] informative if the journalist had discussed what led to the discovery.

Does Social Security send out an occasional verification form, or did he forget to file an income tax return on her?

The article would have been much more [-]helpful and reassuring[/-] informative if the journalist had discussed what led to the discovery.

Does Social Security send out an occasional verification form, or did he forget to file an income tax return on her?
Saw a different article that mentioned a neighbor called because the son said he had buried the old lady. Not sure how that conversation came about. "So, how's your mom? We haven't seen her in, what, fifteen years now?"

I thought SS checks were all provided by direct deposit these days. I guess he must have had them deposited in a joint account.

Creepy!!

Saw a different article that mentioned a neighbor called because the son said he had buried the old lady. Not sure how that conversation came about. "So, how's your mom? We haven't seen her in, what, fifteen years now?"
"... and, say, your home-grown tomatoes are doing really well this year! What's your secret fertilizer?"

I guess he must have had them deposited in a joint account.
Creepy!!
Either that or he had a power of attorney...

I expect this must be very common. A lot of people care for aging or disabled relatives and have access to their accounts. If they were also dependent on the relative's SS, seeing that first postmortem check arrive must present a big temptation. SSA must have some process in place to start confirming the reality of claimants in their 90s - 100s. A big fat government pension check would be an even greater temptation.

Here, again, the government is stifling initiative. We know the government is interested in stimulating the economy, we know they have sent checks to all taxpayers, and are looking to do more. Here a regular citizen takes it upon himself to aid in this process (taking helpful preventative stimulatory action well before the economic crisis was evident even to the Fed), and authorities are coming down on him like a ton of bricks. And, he's an orphan!

I expect this must be very common. A lot of people care for aging or disabled relatives and have access to their accounts. If they were also dependent on the relative's SS, seeing that first postmortem check arrive must present a big temptation. SSA must have some process in place to start confirming the reality of claimants in their 90s - 100s. A big fat government pension check would be an even greater temptation.

There was a case like this here, in a neighborhood about a mile from my house. I think it was even more creepy (if that is possible!) because the son actually left his father's body sitting in a chair in the attic for two or three years until he was caught. A friend of mine who lives on the same block said that the son had a screw loose - - dressed oddly, behaved oddly, waved guns about a lot, and didn't have any friends. Never seemed sane after he came home from VietNam, she said. I don't know him but would speculate that he just didn't know what to do once his father died. My friend is more cynical and thinks maybe he hastened his father's death.

Ah, New Orleans - - where everybody knows everybody's business...

I know there is at least one hold out. My 89 year old FIL adamantly refused to allow his SS to go directly to his bank and still gets a monthly paper check.

Mother had the same opinion. She wanted to 'have control of her money'.

I know there is at least one hold out. My 89 year old FIL adamantly refused to allow his SS to go directly to his bank and still gets a monthly paper check.
That definitely sounds like part of a common mindset for the Depression generation -- keep as much direct control over your own money as possible.

Back
Top Bottom