Maryland Female 31 yrs old new to planning for retirement

Newtothis

Confused about dryer sheets
Alcon:

I have been in the military for 12 years, and I am being medicly seperated from the servace. Sill in the process of an MEB (medical evaluation board) sp? in any case. I don't see me being able to retire from the military any longer due to my medical condition. I am trying to figure out how on a modest budget to start planning for retirement. They say god laughs at those who make plans =0) but I'd rather come up with alternatives as my retirement from the service no longer seems an option. Other then your standard savins account and savings bonds I don't know very much any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out how on a modest budget to start planning for retirement. They say god laughs at those who make plans =0) but I'd rather come up with alternatives as my retirement from the service no longer seems an option.

My suggestion is that you hang around here, read every post, and get involved in as many conversations as you have time for. The answers to all your questions will magically come to you.

You could start here with this current thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/a-few-things-i-learned-at-er-org-46842.htmlhttp://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/a-few-things-i-learned-at-er-org-46842.html#post866676

But there are many, many other discussions that are equally as educational.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome to the forum. :greetings10:

There is a lot of good information here to help you going forward; everyone is willing to help; just ask!

How do you feel about bacon?:whistle:

hi...

I am new to here as well and a veteran myself of 5 years Navy. I also am very confused about retirement as well but in a different situation. Just some points and ideas if they help and sure you have been told are. You have great things going for you regardless of your situation in my opinon. Being retired medically if that is what you are doing will get you a pension already, you will not have to worry about health care since tricare will cover that. Depending on your experience and job in the military you already could land a job when getting out. I do not know your full situation but if you feel you are still able to work you could try to land a job with the Federal government. Not bad pay, great benefits and your time from your military will go towards your service computation for vacation so you will come in earning 6 hours per pay period (maybe more since you have 12 years) with your vacation and holidays that puts you over the annual leave earned in the military. There is a lot to look forward to don't let it get you down, I was also in the same situation, I was going to become an officer and retire but health problems thought otherwise (another story some other day). Anyways welcome to the forums and if you have any questions in relation to my statements let me know I would be more than happy to answer them and help a fellow poster...

Welcome to the forum :flowers:
I've never served, so I can't help out. There are a lot of retired military folks here so you won't be waiting long for answers.
Do a search (green button with white lettering in banner) of the early-retirement site only for "military" and you will find a lot of threads.

Welcome aboard. One good resource here is the Early Retirement FAQs subforum, which has a number of threads on common topics of interest (and was compiled largely by one of retired military members).

Back
Top Bottom