Mechanical help lifting heavy things

I've been struggling with the idea of moving some huge rocks we have in the back yard. It is somewhat rough and soft terrain. I was going to hire some kids, but the pandemic has made it difficult.

While I was watching a documentary on the pyramids, I was inspired to cut up some old scrap top-rail chain-link fence pipe into 2' sections and copy the suspected method they used to move the pyramid rocks. All I had to do was use a pick to lift the front of the rock 2", and slide the pipe under. With a set of 8 pipes, I formed a bed of rollers to roll and slide the rock around! It wasn't perfect due to the uneven terrain, but it was a lot better than trying to lift any of these beasts.

My only glitch in this plan was I had to look out for the copperhead snakes I exposed.

Last edited:
ERD, this is probably not a great idea but in the interest of brainstorming...

Have you looked into a Hoyer lift? They are similar to the engine hoist you show, but for immobile people. Maybe you could get a used one at a local store that sells wheelchairs and crutches?

Another option would be an electric lift...so long as your ceiling can handle it.

https://www.toolots.com/tkk-pa200l-...2Pu4wCuFLzSsCvCV5-LkRPTOtlMueaFQaAlCOEALw_wcB

When it comes time that I need help with heavy lifting, I'll get the current generation of one of these. By that time it will be very affordable.

How about a one-man version of the device in the attached picture. Might need to adapt it to avoid bending at the knees. Attach one end to a solid object, affix load to strap, put strap on and walk backwards, sidestep left or right to place load over cart or dolly or hand truck, move forward to set load down onto cart.

BTW I think that is the first time I've seen a wife happy to help out in lifting heavy objects. :)

https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Dolly-Moving-Straps-Efficiently/dp/B00022749Q/

Attachments

• 81LruVGbg+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    81LruVGbg+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
There are some cool Youtube videos on homemade "elevators". We have a plan to migrate permanently to our second home and sell the primary over the next 2 years. Our second home is a 120 year old farm with a 3000s.f. barn attached. Invariably, we will have to store belongings in the barn loft, maybe even some fairly heavy furniture pieces. I am thinking of building a Harbor Freight electric hoist powered "elevator" in there to avoid trying to carry stuff up the stairs (that has no fence/rail along one side!). If I do, it will make the "What we're making" thread for sure...

...... I am thinking of building a Harbor Freight electric hoist powered "elevator" in there to avoid trying to carry stuff up the stairs (that has no fence/rail along one side!). If I do, it will make the "What we're making" thread for sure...
Check out YouTube for some HF DIY freight elevators.

Back
Top Bottom